CSP brake upgrade advice

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRAD

Reaction score
I received my front disc conversion kit yesterday :D , just a couple of questions for anyone that has done it, the instructions are excellent but I'm not sure about if I need to change my master cylinder or not? i have a duel circuit at the moment.
Need M14x1.5 wheel nuts now also.
Could do with an idiot proof video guide for fitting :roll:

No you dont need to change the master cylinder BUT on the outlet for the front brakes there may be a brass valve screwed in which is required for drum brakes and not for discs, so if it is there just remove it by unscrewing it. Pretty simple, The CSP kits are ace and the instructions are damn good!

Cheers mate, so I remove the ball bearing then reassemble the lot,thanks a lot. 8)
I'll wait for some decent weather then start.

Hey brad, I have a csp conversion on my 69 but kept finding that on journeys I had to pump the brakes as on the first push it went to the floor. On consulting my local vw guru he said I needed to fit a late bay compensator valve in the system, so that's what we did and now the brakes are spot on !

I too fitted a late bay 'regulator' (not sure if this is same as compensator). It's a simple mechanical device that reduces pressure to the back wheels under really heavy breaking. As far as I recall in my research it because disks (now on the front) require greater pressure to lock up. Just they way the pistons work. And so for a big shove on the middle pedal your more likely to get the back wheels to lock up. You kind of want them all breaking traction at the same time I guess.

Anyway, don't know if it makes a difference, but Vw thought it did so who am I to disagree

CSP brakes kits are great but I still think it's a shame they don't provide wheel bolts.
You get the whole job done super quick and easy and then can't drop the bus off the stands :?

r73 said:
CSP brakes kits are great but I still think it's a shame they don't provide wheel bolts.
You get the whole job done super quick and easy and then can't drop the bus off the stands :?

No good supplying the wheel nuts with the kit, as it depends on what/which wheels you have to what nuts you need, 19mm hex tapered for some alloys , 19mm hex radius for steels, 8/10point internal slim type for certain wheels with poor access and possibly a few more different types I've forgotten about, so it's easier to say get your own :lol:

68_early_bay said:
r73 said:

No good supplying the wheel nuts with the kit, as it depends on what/which wheels you have to what nuts you need, 19mm hex tapered for some alloys , 19mm hex radius for steels, 8/10point internal slim type for certain wheels with poor access and possibly a few more different types I've forgotten about, so it's easier to say get your own :lol:

Yeah true, perhaps just be nice to compliment such a good kit with a choice of wheel nuts so the job can be DIY straight out the box, after all you have to specify which kit you want - std 14's, 15's, vented, drilled....

Well I have the cross drilled ones, I wanted to keep the standard wheels, bought some cheap open ended nuts just until I can find some i like.
bUT I've not even started doing it yet!

BRAD said:
Well I have the cross drilled ones, I wanted to keep the standard wheels, bought some cheap open ended nuts just until I can find some i like.
bUT I've not even started doing it yet!

I thought the cross drilled kit was for 15" alloys only? Not standard wheels ?

They don't want to be as I ordered them from JK and that's what he said on the phone when I rang them both times :evil:

Back onto the brake balance scary bit rather than fork out a fortune for a late bay brake pressure regulator is there another way like just get a different master cylinder?

BRAD said:
They don't want to be as I ordered them from JK and that's what he said on the phone when I rang them both times :evil:

I'm going on what heritage have put on there description of the cross drilled kit ,

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/bay-bus/AC698505X/front-disc-kit-5-205-t2-64-70-15-alloys-x-drilled-csp/?crumbStartPage=1&crumbStartRow=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like cross drilled rotors might be ok for 14" steels :D
http://www.csp-shop.com/products/Products/Brakes%2CBrake_Systems_front%2CBus_%2750%2D%2770%2CPCD_5x205/21452c/det/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i changed my early drum brake master for a laterr disc brake master when i i did the conversion...
whats a brake compensator and where do you fit this ??? do you mean a servo conversion ??

I too changed for a duel master cylinder when I upgraded.

I also seem to remember something about the size of wheels (it was about 5 years ago now), i think, and hope the kit for 14'' wheels is fine for 15'' wheels, but not the other way round. Fingers crossed..

When fitting the csp disc conversion I also changed to a later disc brake master cylinder but also found we still needed the regulator which we sourced second hand from a vw breakers..

Latest posts