Decent quality coil ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave.P

Reaction score
Hello,
Looking for a new coil, and wondered if anyone recommends one , or which NOT to get ?
the current one is as old as the hills by the look of it.
Noticed the weight difference in the vw one and bosch ones on here;

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/bay-bus/electrical/ignition-system-standard-performance-parts/?startRow=1&startPage=1&maxDisplayRows=15&dcCfcSortSelect=PopularitySort|asc&dcCfcBrandFilter=excluded&dcCfcOriginFilter=excluded&dcCfcPriceFilterLow=excluded&dcCfcPriceFilterHigh=excluded&searchText=&classicSearchText=&classicSearchType=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does that say anything about the quality ? :?

I bought a lucas one from local car spares place, something like a DLb 105 can't remember the exact code and that's been fine, plus it didn't have a label saying Vw so was only £15 or so seems to do the job

Cheers for that, are you running points or electronic ignition ?
Should of said that I'm running pertronix in this engine in case it rules out certain coils.

http://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Item/Shop_by_Vehicle~Beetle_Products~Beetle_Electrical_Products~Ignition-C-_Starting_and_Charging_Products~Ignition_Products~Ignition_Coils/113905115/12V_Beru_Blue_Coil__-_Top_Quality.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Get a Beru, i had a problem a few years ago with coils and i bought the expensive one from VWH made in USA and its not, it is brazilian shit! i had to actually explain that brazil is not in the USA like the guy thought..
I actually got my Beru from ebay for a little less than coolair and it has been working great.

I got through a couple of Bosch 'blue' coils last year. In the end I splashed out on an MSD and its been sweet ever since. £45 from RJ Volksperformnace

I bought a Petronix coil just because it looked nice and matched the ignition kit. Its always been fine, in that I'm not aware it could do anything better or worse :D

Dave.P said:
Cheers for that, are you running points or electronic ignition ?
Should of said that I'm running pertronix in this engine in case it rules out certain coils.
I have run both with this coil and not had any issues
Think the trouble is over the years people have said you have to have this and you have to have that and people get confused when there's something else available, eg, I and a few friends had horrendous trouble with petronix coils and ignition, coils kept failing magnets kept falling out of ignition ring
Ect, but then again people have swore by them for years.
Bosch plugs I've had trouble with aswell
Beru stuff is usually fairly consistent though must admit
I myself got fed up so bought a cheap accuspark module and to be fair it's been fine, bought a non vw recommended coil as above and that's been fine, unless you have got some posh screaming engine I don't see the point aslong as you get a decent spark time and time again surely any coil with the correct values will do? Not as though there complicated engines is it?
That's my opinion anyway whether it's right or wrong lol

Latest posts