Dell FRD32 opinions

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnS

Reaction score
Has anybody experience of fitting Dell FRD 32s to their 1600 stocker? I'm looking to upgrade in stages and was thinking the first stage would be to get a pair of FRD 32s with 23mm chokes for maximum torque with my 1600. The 23mm chokes should also be good if I then upgrade to 1641 correct?? Then, as is quite possible, if I fancy a 1776 sometime down the line then I could stick with the FRD 32s but increase to 28mm chokes for better breathing. Lastly, what are Scat linkages like?

I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks, John.

JohnS said:
Has anybody experience of fitting Dell FRD 32s to their 1600 stocker? I'm looking to upgrade in stages and was thinking the first stage would be to get a pair of FRD 32s with 23mm chokes for maximum torque with my 1600. The 23mm chokes should also be good if I then upgrade to 1641 correct?? Then, as is quite possible, if I fancy a 1776 sometime down the line then I could stick with the FRD 32s but increase to 28mm chokes for better breathing. Lastly, what are Scat linkages like?

I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks, John.

I've got FRD 34s on a 1641 with a 4 into 1 quietpack and they are ace, loads more torque and good economy, hills are a lot less of a challenge. I haven't had them tuned yet either. I need to replace the needle valves first, so hopefully I have more to come. I have found the SCAT centre swivel linkage fine, the only thing I have found to be lacking with it is the lack of a return spring mechanism. We fabricated our own.

speedwell68 said:
I've got FRD 34s

Thanks Speedy. Where did you get them from? Eurocarb or that Italian bloke off Ebay? Good to hear that hills are less challenging - I guess we both live in "slope-challenged" neighbourhoods! I'm not after drag-strip performance just a bit more grunt when lugging a fully laden bus around the west coast.

JohnS said:
speedwell68 said:
I've got FRD 34s

Thanks Speedy. Where did you get them from? Eurocarb or that Italian bloke off Ebay? Good to hear that hills are less challenging - I guess we both live in "slope-challenged" neighbourhoods! I'm not after drag-strip performance just a bit more grunt when lugging a fully laden bus around the west coast.

I got them second hand off a trader on thesamba.com. The only problems I have had is a slight amount of over fueling from the stock pump. I seem to have sorted that by resetting the float levels, but it has been suggested by Eurocarb that I should be running a pressure regulator and upgraded needle valves. But they are running sweetly at the moment I'm gonna leave them be.

Latest posts