• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1745 Stroker engine, 40 Dells, Turnkey

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredster

Reaction score
Selling to make way for a 2.1 stroker. Built this a couple of years back and, with the exception of a faulty coil, its never missed a beat. Done about 5K miles. I build and refurb engines on a semi-professional basis and can provide references from previous clients. I use my bus to drive up to london to work every week so engine has to be completely reliable. No bus = no work.

Spec is as follows,

AS41 case, align bored, drilled and tapped for full flow
CB 76mm crank,
8 dowel forged & lightened flywheel
Stock 1600 B & P's
Stock 040 heads, ported and polished
Stock cam,
Scat 1.25 ratio rockers
Dellorto 40 carbs, fully rebuilt with refurb kits.
CB hex-bar linkage, fettled with (grr!) to work with complete precision - no sloppiness.

17452.jpg

This is a lovely engine. A different beast to a 1776 altogether in the way the power is delivered. More work to build but well worth the effort! Starts right on the money, ticks over from cold, never misses a beat. Doesn't rev much past 5k but delivers the goods low down, due to stock heads, extra stroke of crank and 28mm vents. Will plug straight into a bug and make it fly, but it was built to power a heavy bus. This engine pushed my 72 Dormobile to an indicated 90mph the one time I tried (very scary), but its the low down torque of the engine that'll put a smile on your face. You can be in 4th gear at under 30 and, staying in 4th, put your foot down and it pulls straight away. Accelerates up hills, and most importantly, keeps up with modern motorway traffic effortlessly. You can be in the slow lane doing 60, and then pull out and be past a lorry and up to 70 in a fraction of the time a stock 1600tp would take to do the same.

Just as importantly, if you're not loo lead-footed it'll return upper 20's mpg in a bus (29mpg my best on a run in my dormy 72). This is practically the same engine as VW trends mileage motor - I'll dig out a link to it and post it on this thread later.

Its in my bus at mo, so any prospective buyer can have a drive and put it through its paces. Will be sold as complete turnkey. Including clutch with 5K miles on it, ORIGINAL VW HEAT EXCHANGERS and a quietpack exhaust in good order.

Asking £1700 ono for it, located in Ipswich. Can put it on a pallet for courier at buyers expense - usually about £70

Latest posts