Devon pop top roof lining attachment

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moseley

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Me and the mrs are currently in the process of stripping our Devon pop top to do a refurbishment and fix all the leaks. The picture below definitely summarises the feelings of the day - it seems that in the past the roof has had a coat of white paint, a layer of some sort of bitumen based sealant and then some substantial grey roofing paint of some description.

3D04560F-1CE6-459B-8922-65588910CFA4_zpsovag1wf4.jpg

But anyway, the aluminium frame is shafted, many cracks, previous repairs that are now loose, sealant etc etc so I'm planning on rebuilding it.

The question is, how does the original headlining actually attach to the roof? This one was just screwed straight into the ally with self tappers. I've managed to find out that it has something to do with 'C clips' but not quite sure how it is all arranged if you see what I mean.

Does anyone have any pics of the roof lining with said clips, and where things clip together? Or even a description so that I can get my head around it?!

Hi the original lining is folded around the lip all the way round & inside the lip of the roof vent opening there are over 80 maybe more clips holding the lining in place over the clips attaches U a trim these parts can be found on http://poptop-parts.co.uk/devon-bw68.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I have strengthened my roof to help it stop sagging helps a bit ,did drill out all of the broken rivets but found them to be spot welds? on ali,have cheated by adding a fibreglass JK style roof cover temporary/perminent fix hope this helps
IMAG0272_zps23b832f5.jpg

Tony, thanks for posting that picture up. I'm still struggling to picture what these clips look like, and how they attach between headlining and ally framework. I guess I need to see pictures with it all in situ to decide whether it is worth trying to replicate, or if I can come up with something that looks better myself.

Did you rebuild the framework? If so, what and where from did your order that sections? I was wondering whether I could go for something a little more substantial than standard, as my thoughts are that although the corner reinforcements help to stop it splitting etc at joins, it doesn't reduce the ability for the roof to sag. I'd like to add something a bit more substantial, without making it unusable.

Not got my head liner on since last year but had a look C lips shown with the black U trim put clips up around the vent frame & around one edge hope this helps obviously you will need some insulation panels (original ones are foam were glued to aluminium roof held up with gaffer tape) & headlining stretched out & cut arounds the roof inner frame & vent frame folded over the lip & Clips pushed on maybe with a tool hammer? once this is done fit the Black U trim to cover the clips.
I have only strengthened the original frame riveting were necessary was going to do a full refurb but got hold of a jk style fibreglass roof so refurb been put off funds & time not got much.
IMG_20140120_184319030_zps3d3bf53b.jpg

IMG_20140120_183941507_zps21eb7426.jpg
IMG_20140120_184020674_zps219a3b94.jpg
IMG_20140120_184158425_zps689fa73f.jpg

Aha, it all becomes clear now! Appreciate you taking the time to put those up. 8)

My frame is in considerably worse condition than yours, and I'm not sure if it's even original. I'm sure all the lips are the wrong way round...

Onwards with the rebuild, at least I can now go ahead and order the ally sections to suit.

Cheers!

With regard to Devon poptops, has anyone here re-covered the top as recommended by some with white sail material? Need to prevent some of my water ingress.

AGPlant said:
With regard to Devon poptops, has anyone here re-covered the top as recommended by some with white sail material? Need to prevent some of my water ingress.

I will be looking to do something similar once I'm in a position where everything is riveted back into place, so will be interested to see if anyone has. Was looking for some long life white vinyl.

Following on from the above and after 4 weekends of paint removal, I've decided that I'm going to remake the inner aluminium sheet section from a new piece. I've re-designed the frame to make it stronger and (hopefully!) sag-free over time, and with less rivet holes. Time will tell how it comes together.

Clive at the campershop sells a top qual white vinyl sheet for the outer roof - he's a mine of info on how the Devon roof should be rebuilt and sells pretty nearly all the parts required.
http://poptop-parts.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 01684 592199

cheers
Rob

Have got all the parts not to do my pop top, vinyl off ebay, sadly couldn't afford the original type bellows, so have the flat sided ones. Looking forward to getting on with it after Stanford Hall tomorrow.

When I refurbed my pop top years ago I used a few of those metal clips but found they pinched the material and put creases in it so I just used the rubber U trim it held the material fine

Latest posts