Devon Roof Bellows Help

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whistler

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Devon
Hi all,

Yesterday I spoke to Pop Top Parts regarding a new set of bellows for our bus. I happened to mention that the roof isn't the original one (I am sure?) and that meant he couldn't supply the canvas due to theirs being based off the original Devon roof. He suggested we get the material and get a sail maker or tent repairer to make one. I originally thought it was a JK roof cap but does that not mean that I would have the original roof still there?

Anyway, so here is some pictures of the inside, is anyone able to tell me what roof it might be? And most importantly how the hell we go about getting new canvas/bellows? Just normal flat side white for now.

thanks!

That's a Devon roof for sure.... and from having replaced the bellows, then the ones from the 'camper shop' are of excellent quality.... don't waste time and ultimately money by buying elsewhere for a few quid cheaper!! I'm not sure that the old bellows you are looking to replace are original though!

Can't tell from the pictures to be sure, but it doesn't look like you've got a roof cap on, but if you have it will have to come off, as you need to re-rivet the aluminium strips to the roof to trap the edges of the bellows material. I used 'closed' rivets - each in a dab of white silican sealant.... but then for complete peace of mind I also glued a piece of white vinyl over the whole lot, and I've not had any leaks through the roof since.

Good luck.... especially if you putting new rubbers in as well!!

That looks like it has a roof cap as the outside rubber seal on pic and a Devon is the one that seals the roof to the fixed raised base in original guise. This pic suggests that there is an extra cap without seal. Further the underside beige panel is non standard, they were always white vinyl. The roof light is non standard too.
The roof frame and other parts is the type used by Devon though.

Thanks for the responces chaps. Both spot on as I also fired the pics off to pop top parts and he confirmed its a Devon roof with a cap so their bellows will fit

So it looks like a mish-mash of bits. I'll get the rubbers with the bellows and if it doesn't fit I'll have to try JK ones I guess.

How would the cap normally be fixed to the roof?

Latest posts