different flywheel fitting question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

70-CA-Panel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've taken off the 6V flywheel off my engine without marking it, because I'm changing it to a 12V from my previous engine.

Problem is I don't know how to orient it now.
It has two balance holes drilled in the side of the rim, but can't see any balance markings on the crank.
Without taking the engine apart and balancing it what is the best way to install this used flywheel?

The original flywheel did not have a gasket between it the crank, should I use one? If so the metal or paper one?

Thanks for your help.

Andy

My bus is finally nearing the end and I'd like to get im MOT'd early next week... :shock: a

So need to install the flywheel today to continue with engine installation.

Sorry for the pushy posts lately just need to know asap.

Thanks guys.

andy

1600 engines used a rubber ring seal in the lip of the flywheel that seals round the end of the crank, not a gasket. But then 1600's never used 6volts so I am a bit puzzled.

Hi Trikki,

Yes I have replaced the rubber o-ring.
The gasket I'm unclear about goes between the flywheel and crank and has four holes cut out for the dowels.
The gasket sets come with a paper and a metal one, Haynes, Idiots guide and think the VW manual all mention the two...

So don't know if I should leave it as it originally came without any or put one of the others in, which one?

Latest posts