DISC BRAKE CONVERSION - TEETHING PROBLEMS??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biddy2101

Reaction score
Razzle (1970 1600 LHD Westy) has recently been treated to a CSP brake disc conversion. I did this myself & found it a relatively easy task to do.

I was told that our master cylinder would be "FINE", so fitted the discs on & bled brakes & thought i was done. However when i took Razzle out for a run after doing the conversion, the brakes seemed to be holding slightly & getting very hot.

So do i need to change the master cylinder? If so, which one should i go for as there seems to be a hell of a lot of choice...

OR is there something else i need to do that i haven't done?

This is now getting urgent as we go away next Sunday (8th August) to Cornwall & the intention was to go with Razzle - however i am reluctant to travel 7 hours (rough guess from London) :lol: with brakes i'm not confident with (kids, other half, dog & trailer to think about).

Any advice welcome.

Thanks, Biddy

yes you will need to change it as yours will hold the brake on as you've noticed, speak to machine 7 and they will advise which one, it's about £60 from memory

If yours is a drum brake MC, you should have the check valves in place.... It's a fitting that the hard line screws into, that then screws into the MC....
The brass looking things at the top edge of this MC....

682392.jpg

Just pull the check valve out of the front circuit and reconnect the hard line... You should have perfectly working dics brakes.... At least that's how its done on Oz spec bus', I would assume the rest of the world would be the same....

Thanks guys for your responses on this - I have an update for you.

I ordered a new MC from Creative Engineering after trawling the internet to ensure that the right one was bought as time was of the essence. It arrived & it didn't fit - figured out that we needed some more parts (brake fluid reservoir & boot) got those from VW Heritage after having a chat with them & wasting more time on the WWW.

Bits arrived & they didn't fit... :evil:

Its now Wednesday & we leave on Sunday - nobody panic

Took Razzle down to Thingamees Beetles in West Drayton & gave them all the parts & told them what was going on.

2 hours later - brakes are now feeling like a very expensive brake conversation should feel. All the parts handed back as not needed because guess what?

All that needed to be done was to remove the front check valve...

Easy as that!!! :oops:

So a BIG thank you to Andy @ Thingamees for saving the day.

The check valves were the next thing that was on the list to be looked at, if there was time to spare but as it was soo close to the wire, it was more important to have someone else look at Razzle & fix him if necessary.

Creative Engineering & VW Heritage have been really good about giving me a refund for the parts.

Razzle took us to Cornwall & brought us back (some 650 mile round trip) without missing a beat - Quality

Biddy

Latest posts