DIY Carb balance

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattd

Reaction score
Just fitted my dual Solex 35's in my bus today and balanced with a home made vacuum gauge from a chevvy forum, for those that want a low cost alternative to an air flow meter here is how.

Go and buy:

2x clear plastic bottles, I used the 250ml apple juice bottles. Wide lids are best.
1x length of plastic tube, clear is better but coloured also works. I bought 4m but you could get to suit. It needs to be able to fit over whatever vacuum point your carbs have, or can be pushed into a bit of tube that does.

+ sundries...

Build / attach and use the below, you adjust the idle screw on Solex carbs to get the same airflow through each, this method uses the vacuum take off and it is incredible how accurate it is, within the smallest turn of the screw driver.

You need to get the water level on both bottles to be the same, if one carb is pulling more than the other the levels are different and you need to work out if the rev's need to go up or down as to if you increase or decrease to rebalance. This is also safe from the perspective of the carbs sucking up all the water, just keep the bottles below half full.

DIY_Carb_Balance.jpg

Here it is on my running engine, the right carb is pulling slightly more than the left, that much water was the result of about 1/8th of a turn on the idle screw.

1275257246_photobucket_56391_.jpg

After you have them balanced and running at the right rpm, mine are rock solid sat at 850 (that has never happened before, I normally get some hunting with the 009 dizzy) carry on with adjusting the idle fuel/air mix.

For those that may be interested I kept the stock mechanical fuel pump but cut 2x 1.2mm steel spacers using a gasket as a template to push the pump up a little and got it from 5.5psi to 3psi. It may be a little high but will run it for a month or two and see how it goes. If you are going to use a Scat linkage then be prepared for 2 days of pain getting it to fit.

If this is a flawed method then someone speak up! :oops:

What a great idea. Are you connecting them to the vacuum ports on the carbs or the manifolds?

speedwell68 said:
What a great idea. Are you connecting them to the vacuum ports on the carbs or the manifolds?

I connected to the vacuum ports but I think a takeoff on the manifold would be better, I suspect it has higher airflow giving more reliable results.

Latest posts