Dont shoot **ducks** T25 questions

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slammedresto

Reaction score
Thinking of getting an early t25 joker, i like the early aswan brown jokers, im told to avoid the aircooled ones, and the 1,6 diesels are a bit guttless. Ive seen a 83 1.9 petrol injection, aswan joker. not looked at it yet, hes after 6.2k (localish), and ive also seen an 82 beige joker, converted from 1.6 to 1.9 diesel, lowered, alloys 5.6k ( but 5 hours drive)

anything i need to look out for, any recommendations

hers the ones ive seen

83 1.9 inj petrol joker

062.jpg

82 1.9 diesel

CIMG0682.jpg

As with bays not that long ago theses are generally treated with such low regard and ran into the ground, your best bet is to get yourself over to club 80-90 they did have a good checklist, its quite funny reading at times when you see what some get upto in the way of maintenance/repair :lol: that said there are some gud uns too

1.6TD - a great engine, good economy and power is average.
1.6D - very sluggish but good economy.
1.9TD - will be a conversion, probably an AAZ code as you don't need the electronics - ECU etc. As long as it has been done right and with a good engine to start with, the 1.9 would be my choice.
1.9 Petrol - uber thirsty but I think the power is OK.

Galvernising is generally OK, especially if it's a camper it would / should of been looked after. Arches are an issue and the bit ontop of the front bumper - water just sits there.

For everything Wedge and T4 / T5 related:
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We had a "gipsy" before our bay. It was running a 1.9td AAZ from a golf (i think). It was not that bad on fuel, considering it was carrying a small caravan on it's back :lol: :lol:

I also have a friend who has a 2.0l air cooled early westy. I really like the retro look of it, but it was very heavy on the fuel, until he got it running on gas.

My gipsy was alright to drive :| :| :| but i did have it lowered on 17" merc rims. So a standard height one could drive different.

P6090011.jpg

not sure any of that helps Gary?????

I've got the 1.9 Wasserboxer engine in mine. It does 25-26 mpg and is happy to cruise at 70. Theres also a 2.1 which has loads of poke but is thirsty. Alot of folks go for the engine swap to the Tdi or Subaru engine. Early (air cooled) buses have the late bay 1.6 or 2 litre engine and are a little underpowered.
Seam rash is the biggest issue on these buses. Apparently a problem throughout there manufacture led to the seams where panels meet being prone to rust.

Ive had a few, and also scrapped a few! The 1.9 aircooled petrol was good and pumped out a lot of heat in the winter. It suffered from oil leaks but was a beater, and was overall a good work horse.
Most of the water pumpers I have had suffered either from head gasket issues, rotted pipes or core plugs poppin/rotting out. They are great when they work well but are a nightmare generally, I think. The last one I had, which I bought to sell, needed an engine swap, new coolant pipes and ended up needing brake lines from front to back too was enough to put me off them for good. The body was absolutely mint though and when finished was a joy to drive.
As has been said, seams and front bumpers rot out on most vans and most rot is very easy to spot.
Overall, I just couldnt be arsed with them now. So much hassle for something that isnt good enough practically, nor good looking enough to justify the work.

ive got a mate local, whos quite handy on 25s, so work isnt a problem, good westy T25s seem to be few and far at the mo. Prices aint cheap either, certainly not a cheap alternative, but more comfy and modern for the missus and nipper on long journeys than my potential new project will be come the summer

so am i right in saying i should go 1.9 diesel or petrol??? avoid 1.6d??

i like the early jokers, but it tough finding any about, must be the time of year. prices seem to be between 5 and 6k

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=614167" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One early one on vzi m8. £3250

YOU BIG GAYLORD :lol:

have you talked to Simon aka Spannerboy on VZI, he is MR T25 ;)

Can we talk about early bay's now please!

Buy a T4 and be done with it! this lot will sort you out one http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
my daughter had a T25 multivan bluestar thingy the one that sounds like a scouby
always playing up and more thirsty than George Best! :shock: :lol:

monkeyvanwestybike said:
Buy a T4 and be done with it! this lot will sort you out one http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
my daughter had a T25 multivan bluestar thingy the one that sounds like a scouby

prefer an early t25 looks wise, if i want to go that modern i might as well have a transit

will still have a EB to play with

slammedresto said:
monkeyvanwestybike said:

prefer an early t25 looks wise, if i want to go that modern i might as well have a transit

will still have a EB to play with

The T25 is modern to me! :oops:

Latest posts