door seal question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippysteven

Reaction score
I have recently replaced the cab door seals on my van, they are German quality ones from c&c and they won't let my door sit flush with the body. The door gaps are ok and even all round, but it's sitting proud at the bottom of the door bellow the hinges and bottom corner bellow the handle.
Before I go trimming the seals to make them fit, has anyone else had this problem?

How did u over come it?

Thanks as always chaps.

The original factory dark grey replacement seals were also very tight when first fitted.
They bed in over a bit of time. The problem with trimming them is you might end up with gaps once they do bed/shrink down.

Mind you, when I say the OG ones were tight I mean one had to really slam the door to get it to close. It was better to adjust the catch a little and then tighten it back up after a month or two. I don't remember them causing only part of the door to be proud though. It was the whole thing.

Are your doors a bit more bendy than original or are the seals too fat only on the lower part?

The doors are the OG doors and are rock solid so I wouldn't say they bend much, but I will see how they settle then for a month or two.

The seals seem abit fat around the corner bellow the hinge, I can push the door shut with my weight pushing against it.

And when there no more travel in the door closing due to the seals, it's seems proud by about 5-7mm which looks pretty poor in my eyes, they used to close perfectly before so I suspect it must be the seals.
My only concern is that 5-7mm seems quite a lot of proudness shall we say, for new seals (of the soft grey rubber), so I wonder if they will settle enough to reduce the proudness of 7mm to become flush with the body eventually

Thanks

I used the same seals. I did the passenger door 18 months ago and the driver door in March. Both still sit 5mm or so proud. :|

Same here, new seals all round. Both doors are proud. Does look a bit naff from certain angles and doesn't seem to be any different over time. Bus was finished about 8 months ago and the doors don't need any adjustment yet.
Has anyone actually had the experience of new seals 'bedding in'?

Anyone old enough to have had a van from new? Did the seals on a factory fresh van 'bed in' or did the doors fit from day one?

A mate used the best German quality on the market today but doors are difficult to shut even after a year or so and they don't bed in!!
We compared them to my seals (original vw ones bought new from the dealer) and the material at the A pillar is not spongy enough and to thick!!! this is the biggest problem the rest of the seal looks/feels pretty much the same.
When my seals where fitted the doors closed pretty good and doors were flush with the body only needed a harder push, after a month or so it was all back to normal.

Did mine a few months back. They came with the bus and I realised after I fitted them that the quality wasn't up to much. They sat about 5mm proud to begin with, and you really had to slam the door, but they are fine now! Except they leak!

Sent from my arse using Tapatalk

Fitted seals this week following a repaint, had doors fitting beautifully before, now they are both sitting out a bit, drivers especially takes a cery firm close to get it shut, contrmpalting some trimming from the back of seal, as nobodies seems to compress as I was hoping they would!

I bought the best of the best seals too. Mine did the same thing. It's been about a year now and the drivers door shuts good now, but still have to slam the passenger door. it doesn't get used as much. I am disappointed in them because they also leak.

Judging by the descriptions above it seems the replacement seals are not the same as the originals.

Certainly if there's parts which are not spongy then they will not bed in or compress over time and hence, may indeed need some careful trimming on the back of the seal. It's not as easy as it sounds since the trimming will have to be very even and blend in to the parts left un trimmed since any ridges on the back will cause gaps.

sparkywig said:
All the VEWIB rubbers I've bought over the last few years have been almost a perfect match for the 44 year old OE fitment.

That's good to know, sounds like they are the ones to get then.

sparkywig said:
All the VEWIB rubbers I've bought over the last few years have been almost a perfect match for the 44 year old OE fitment.

Ive got the same issue with my driver and passenger doors, the rubbers were fitted 3 years ago after a respray and they sit at least 5mm proud. Where are these VEWIB rubbers available from?

Latest posts