Dormobile bunk covers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coupester996

Reaction score
Hi there
Was wondering if anyone can help - I'm in the final stages (hopefully) of refurbing my 1970 Dormobile and need to have some new bunk covers made, can anyone give me the dimensions or a template of the cover and any photos too would be very helpful.
Many thanks in advance
Richard

Do you mean the actual hammock material, or the bit that stretches over them when they're folded away?

If it's the bit that covers then when they're away, I recommend extending the material compared with the originals. This way you can make an extra deep hem on the 'free' end, so that the turn-clips go through two thicknesses of material compared with the original one - so much less likely to pull through.

I can get some photo's and measurements later if you wish...?

I also did the stitching in mine in the van colour as a bit of very mild 'customisation'!!

...if on the other hand you mean the hammocks themselves, I bought some from "Proud to Pop". The picture of them on website looked great but when they arrived they were made of some modern
vinyl plastic material, whereas the originals were canvas/cotton.

Before I ordered I went to a local place where they do sewing and repairs, and they still quoted over £100, not far off the PTP price.

With hindsight I wish I'd had a go at making my own - how hard can it be..! They are tapered, and if only one side has a pattern they would be "handed".

Below is one of the originals - now long gone, son fell through the other one!

My originals on a 71 (also long gone) were made of an artificial weave, probably nylon, with a red checkered pattern.

Dormobile - http://www.dormobile.co.uk/parts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - sell new bunk cloth for £125.

Thanks for the replies

Yes it's the covers that go over the bunks when they are in the closed position, if you could post some photos and dimensions that would be great.
Thanks again
Richard

Coupester996 said:
Thanks for the replies

Yes it's the covers that go over the bunks when they are in the closed position, if you could post some photos and dimensions that would be great.
Thanks again
Richard

Oops, mis understood. The covers were originally made of beige vinyl. They had two sets of eyes so that they could either be tight around the folded bunk or, on the outer setting, they could wrap the bunk complete with a sleeping bag still in it.

Ooh, never knew there were two sets of eyes, that's a good idea! Pics of mine coming up; finished size is 430 x 1770mm plus obviously more for hems...

You can be liberal with the 430 measurement too as this just tucks in behind the aperture trim so you can make it as tight as you wish when it comes to fitting it all.

That's great - thanks very much for the replies and photos.
So does one side fix to the van and the other side is then left loose to close up round the bunk it's closed or does it simply wrap around the bunk and fix to itself?
Cheers
Richard

First one. One end is trapped behind the aperture trim and the loose end goes over the bunks and onto the turn pegs.

Latest posts