Dormobile bunk ladder

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark Star

Usually on a different planet
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
VW T2 Dormobile
Afternoon all
We’ve had the bunks reinstated in the dormobile & wonder how people get on up to them....standing on the bench seat still requires a bit of agility...Can anyone recommend a ladder please?
Otherwise Dark Star Jr will have to learn to levitate! There seems to be all sorts of ladders for other vans with different bunks out there but struggling to find anything for the dormobile.
Mr Dark Star had to get the step ladder in for me to climb up as I am somewhat vertically challenged...& an actual chunky step ladder is not going on holiday (hopefully). Thankyou

Never seen a ladder used before too get into the bunks. My kids always use the side unit/downstairs bed to get up, but they're 11 and 13 now. Had to help them up previous to that though.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks. There still seems a heck of a gap though between standing on the bench seat & hoisting yourself on to the bunk as I could not do it. Perhaps I'll get a cattle prod...might have the desired effect! Perhaps our seat is rather low....

There’s an idea! Our bed isn’t much higher when flipped from bench to bed.....Mr Dark Star is already muttering about the number of cushions in the van so building a tower out of them won’t be practical either.... :D

I just had a germ of an idea. A few years back I fitted a wooden ladder , the kind that was fixed to a loft hatch to our existing loft and had to cut the wooden ladder down to size to get it all to fit nicely. I had a left over of two treads left in the styles, so in effect a miniature ladder two treads high. I at one time , had this fitted to a bracket to get up into a top bunk that I’d fashioned over the drivers seat by clipping this bracket to the top of the bulkhead behind the drivers seat, and the base of this ladder was planted on top of my coolbox. I’m not sure if this ladder ended up playing fire place jenga at some point or if it’s still in the land of the mysterions (garage) or if it’s another casualty of Mrs Ozziedogs furlough spring clean and subsequent tip run. I’ll escape to the land of the mysterions a little later and see if there was any reprieve for anything useful and if there is, then I’ll attempt photographic evidence of this elusive creature.

Ozziedog,,,,,,, ssslike goin on surfari innit

Have a search for marine rope ladders, cheap, about £20 and very light. Amazon do loads .You will just have to figure out the anchor point. Would do a link...but don’t know how to 🙄

Sorted it. Rope ladder would have been too wobbly though I did look at those a while ago...& yacht ladders etc.
Acquired small folding step ladder from Amazon with 3 or 4 treads. Folds up small & earns its keep as bunk access/roof rack access/perch/ step up into van for really short people plus invaluable when it comes to decorating at home or reaching to the back of the highest kitchen cabinets...(that may not be a good thing...)
Thank you for all the suggestions :)

Not sure I should mention this Darkstar, but exactly how vertically challenged are you ? In the Earlybay posse is a chap called Mat P. And he has a habit of photographing his Mrs with all the tall peeps that they find, I don’t think she makes five foot by an inch or so whereas Mat is six foot and several inches. I’m afraid that your mention of this has indeed piqued my interest. Mrs Ozziedog has a fold up flat type plastic lightweight hop up thingy for the same purpose as in visiting parts of the kitchen that were previously off limits because of height limitations, Mrs Ozziedog is well over five foot tall by nearly an eighth of an inch :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,yes she’s bordering on giant territory :mrgreen:

Reasonably vertically challenged when married to someone who insists on bunging stuff right at the back of a cupboard on the top shelves.... 5'2" on a good day. Feels like 4'2" most of the time due to ever growing mini Dark Star. Regards photos... I do all the photographing in this house. If I suddenly go missing there's very few pictures of me that could be put out on TV as a missing person :msn4: & it will stay that way. No selfies or all that drivel. :lol:

Latest posts