dropped spindles

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonicman

Reaction score
whos running what and what are their thoughts on what they have, anyone tried the machine 7 ones yet ?

I have T2D spindles, they are fine but you will also need tyres and either Air ride our coilovers.
If you want the best from them with a low stance I suggest a narrowed beam and Air ride.

i do not mean to sound horrible but that is not good advice. coil overs are never required, air ride is awful, and narrowed beams make ride harsher this sounds like t2d sales waffle to me. I have decided to go transporthaus ones just wondered if anyone had em

I have transporterhaus spindles on my 71 and I have had no dramas at all, took a while to set the tracking right but that was me not the spindles,

I've got TH spindles on my 71, stock angels and tyres, stock length kyb's cos they came with the bus, all good, rides great. The only issue I had was brake hoses, mine seemed too short so I made new brackets to hold them( see my 'buid' page)

I'm going for transporterhause on my 71. Just getting hold if them is the problem :roll:

No offence taken Tonicman.
I best take my beam back and sell my air ride then

I assume from you post that you haven't experienced a van on 3.5" dropped spindles or why would you ask.

Using T2D or THaus ball joint spindles will require smaller tyres than stock and a change in front shocks to achieve a decent ride. There's no getting around it.

fitted T2 D dropped spindles. With my set up of 17" alloys and tyres i found i needed to fit coil overs. Fitted GAZ adjustables with 120 psi springs. adjusted to suit. All ok now on standard beam. very nice ride, not as low as some but suits me. If going low then smaller wheel / tyre combination is necessary ..

I`m on T Haus spindles and tried smaller tyres which sort of worked a bit, then went for the standard cheapo coilovers and that was a bit better but ended up with Gaz adjust coilovers and some decent size tyres and it`s brilliant now. So T Haus spindles with Gaz Adjust and only slightly smaller tyres and pretty good.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Not as low as some though :mrgreen:

tonicman said:
whos running what and what are their thoughts on what they have, anyone tried the machine 7 ones yet ?
No such thing as a free lunch with dropped spindles.
The ones that Machine7 and VWHeritage stock are easier to fit (no need to remove trailing arms) but they only fit '73 onwards disc brakes.

On the assumption that you have realised that my advice/info was not as bad as you first suggested here are some the Gaz coilovers that people use with dropped spindles.
For sale and at a reasonable price
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?t=57530#p480727" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

no coil overs are never needed imho the vans suspension is designed to use the torsion bar as the spring why would you then need another spring aswell, the only reason i can think of is to compensate for incorrect fitting and poor design of setup i have lowered many vans not only for me personally but for customers also on splitscreens and bays, my knowledge is better than most and i have corrected work done by most of the 'big' companies. Normally i would king and link it as i have endplates made up for beam conversions that i carry out. However i am going down a different route and staying balljoint this time. I agree narrowed beam looks cooler but comfort is the name of the game in a bus that clocks as many miles as our westy, a longer torsion bar creates a more gradual spring rate and therfore better ride quality. Thanks for the input from folks with Th spindles i am safe in the knowledge i have made the right decision. I should not have branded it as 'bad advice' which i apolgise for you were merely giving me your input which i appreciate, but i will be sticking with what i know

No worries hope it works out for you

I'll lock this thread . It's not really serving any purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts