drum to disc conversion

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luk0zade

Reaction score
hi all,

im currently having my bay restored and am thinking of having a conversion done on my front brakes. im just wondering if this is a easy job to do? im a bit of a novice but am willing to tackle most things. Would i have to change the master cylinder on my 69 bus? also does anybody have pics of the proccess of changing from drums to disc?

i just want a bit more stopping power after spending alot of money having the bus re-sprayed.

luke

Hi Luke

There seem to be many option porker disk late bay 71 bay etc, best thing to do is search the technical forum, you should find quite a few posts about doing this conversion.

Ian

luke, your cheapest option would be to get a set of front discs off a later bay, you'll need the full assembly everything from the spindle out. The unit should just drop over the existing balljoints and bolt in.

I changed my 71 disc setup (as it was shagged) to later setup in about 5 hours. I have a non servo master cylinder, i think you would need to change the master cylinder if your going from drum to disc (im not sure maybe someone else would know). If you want to run porsche wheels youll need a custom setup like futbus does or CE or BAD, alot more money or you could run adapters which would also add £100 notes and more track.

Same issue here.
Could i use disc brakes from a '71? That year has the wide 5 right? So, no adapters needed
?

if you want discs and keep wide five, you will need adapters (widening the track) or you would need an off the shelf solution, you should give 'futbus' a shout, i think its how he makes a living ;)

Latest posts