Early 68 bay rear drums (Feb 68 bus)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arizona68

Reaction score
I Have tried to order some CSP rear drums for my early bay, but have been told they only fit buses after april 1968, as the rear drums were changed?? Can anyone clarify this?

I'm screwed now - as that was my option on the back as I'm changing to Porsche 944 disc setup on the front.

Appreciate any input

Thanks

Tom

The backing plate on pre April vans is different, it has a double lip so needs a different drum. You can change the backing plate and it should all be fine. Obviously makes it more expensive though!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Got it the wrong way round post march are the double lip.

c7603894c3c35b77dc4183c2173a6bff.jpg

split drums are the same but think you have to machine centre down as its longer , that's the "snout " with the spline in

So if I just get later 68 to 70 backing plates will all the rest fit back on (Brake shoes / springs / piston) - I appreciate the input guys :)

I believe everything else is the same

CSP used to do the earlier type of drum and I thought that they still were
I think that some suppliers only stock the later type but seem to remember that machine 7 and cool air stocked the ones you want

Bonus! I think mine have been changed at some point in its 50yr life to the later 68 style, can anyone confirm this from pics. Below?

Yup that is the G code later ones. Pic of the early F code ones....
dfca1296890f13544e22f0fe921aa91f.jpg

Yup ... and here is the matching backer plate from an original January 68.

Latest posts