Early bay newbie!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeoggie

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Picked up my 1970 bay window westy last night.

had only driven one round the block before but bought this down in Kent and drove it back to sunny Wigan (near Manchester) and I really love it. 270 miles and didn't miss a beat with plenty of stops doing a steady 50-60mph standard 1600cc pulled a lot better than I thought it would

couple of questions, its a an american import and has the stamps on the each side of the bulkhead - it is a walkthrough one has its build date and states it was a multi passenger vehicle, does this mean it used to be a standard transporter and its been converted later by someone?

I cant find a westfalia stamp but I don't know where it would've actually been? I thought it would of been on the door pillar? it might not be a genuine westfalia but i hope it is either way i love it. it has all the cabinets of a westy inc the louver windows and the full length cabinet across the ns back window.

thanks in advance!

Mike

Hinmike, look for the M code plate. Like what is on my signature, this will show you what your bus was and all of the build details :mrgreen:

Thanks for the reply,

its just how that stamp said it was an mpv i'll have a look in the light tomorrow!

sorry for another question but did all genuine westys have a westfalia stamp or will it have something to do with it being an american import?

Cheers,
Mike

Welcome, they would have all had plates on them from the factory but over the years it's common that it's vanished... My m code plate confirms it is a Westy I have everything baring the outer plate :)

I've found it off its shipping paperwork I've just looked online and it looks like it was a kombi so is that how all westy's started out?

cheers!
Mike

Mikeoggie said:
I've found it off its shipping paperwork I've just looked online and it looks like it was a kombi so is that how all westy's started out?

cheers!
Mike

Yes i think Westfalia took delivery of them as Kombis and then worked their magic! :D

Hi Mike
Welcome aboard, don't live far from you (Newton Le Willows) nice to see another bay in the North West, maybe we can meet up some time and pick each others brains
you are always welcome to pop round if you need any advice (not that i'm an expert but you learn a lot when you own one of these beauties)

Bob (vinvan)

PS my bus is a 1969 tintop

Latest posts