early calipers to later style

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott-Westy

Reaction score
just got the JK conversion kit after my 71 calipers seized

parts turned up today

I got 2 brand new ATE later style calipers 72> and new bolts
1 set later style thicker pads and fitting kits
flexi hoses (ordered separatly)
conversion kit comprising shims and top hat bushes

fitted one side in about 30 mins. I had to use one thick (later) and one thin (early) pad to get them to fit in the caliper but they are self adjusting so im not too concerned. when they were fitted both pads had about 1-2mm play before disc

this is the new caliper bolted up
DSCF0009-4.jpg

and the top hat bush which allows the later (larger bolt) caliper to fit onto earlier buses

DSCF0010-4.jpg

and all bolted up from behind, a shim spacer is placed between caliper and knuckle to get proper alignment with disc

DSCF0011-6.jpg

and finally new flexi on

DSCF0014-2.jpg

bent brake line to fit no probs, just other side to do, bleed brakes and we're away. question: do I smear copperslip over back of anti-rattle plates between them and pistons?

seems a good kit for other people in this position.

have you got the JK part number? what sort of price was the conversion kit parts?

I think they do

J12627 £11.75 (1 pair bushes - 1 side)
J12626 £1.20 (spacers - 1 side)
J12816 £17.95 (kit - presumably with all of above in)

I would ring and check tho 8)

Justin & Mutley said:
pete nice said:
Copperslip is always a good idea...

Couldn't agree more - it's always better to tell everyone you've arrived with your horn, rather than your sqeaky brakes!!!

;)

better to have squeaky brakes than none at all! :shock:

just to report back, I fitted them up last week and they are great. Very easy to fit. No pulling to one side anymore and silent, smooth braking so far.

Only thing was that I had to use one thin (early) pad and one thick (late) pad in each caliper, but now i have full a spare set of replacements left over for future.

I guess an extra shim washer could be used between caliper and steering knuckle, that would probably sort it, but anyway the conversion kit seems pretty good if anyone else was thinking of converting the easy way.

Scott

Latest posts