El Tigra (my new Spanish project)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clyde

Reaction score
Picked up a few boxes of bits the other day

007.jpg

001.jpg

Its a Spanish built S2 Lambretta with turning mudguard.
It all looked good but on super close inspection although it was painted about 10 years ago and as never been back together it needs a repaint in my opinion as it looks like a rush job.
Already started the rub down and prep on the horncast and top light panel

006.jpg

19-1.jpg

Its got the very hard to find original Spanish Speedo face and headlight glass, but both mechanisms are junk so will have to find away to refit those to either some Italian/Indian stuff. (3 contrys making 3 models with about 10 versions of each makes it a nightmare of a proportion even ive never come across while searching for VW parts)

Well got to do a dummy run to check all the panels even fit before i strip it and do any repairs and paint prep so losely put it together today after id picked up the frame and front end (which is already built but will need tearing down again)
24.jpg

Already rubbed down the side panels and one needs some work. Its missing a few parts and most of the trim and all the nuts and bolts.

007-2.jpg

009-1.jpg

14.jpg

Lots of work, but a good winter project.
003-2.jpg

I had a similar series 2 TV 175 that had a few odd ball parts on it need to be a top anorak to know what should be what :lol:
Almost finished my GP200 and cant wait to start the next one (jet200)
Addictive Isnt it. :D

:D Cool......Where do you find the time to do all these projects? :mrgreen:

Unlike the bus which is taking forever to refurb as its kept a couple of miles away at my brother in laws barn the scoots can be done at home, the GP is sitting in the downstairs spare room, most of the build was done in the conservatory and I built the engine on the coffee table ( very understanding wife :lol:)
The jets at a pals place in pieces and will prob stay there till the bus is back on the road.

Cali_bay said:

Working away for 3 weeks solid then having 3 weeks leave helps.
Spend 3 weeks saving money and sorting through ideas and websites etc for parts then when the wife goes goes to work and the daughter to school its garage time.
Its also nice to work on some different things every know and again. Basically i just like bringing old stuff back from the dead.
You know me.

Recently found out from a guy in Spain it was made in October 1962 so its a Golden Anniversary for El Tigra this year so will get the full birthday treatment and hopefully be back on the road next summer (fingers crossed)

Cali_bay said:

Just realised I replied to a comment that was meant for Clyde :oops: :oops:

i'll get my parka :lol:

BTW is that the original seat?

Yes mate, it had a dodgy cover on it and I was hoping it would have been better underneath but no luck.
Was told by the guy at scootopia that they all came with the nice coke bottle shaped seat like a TV. They have got a og one in their showroom.
I'm going to blast and paint it and bite the bullet and get a casa seat cover because I know they fit well. I got a cheaper eBay seat cover for my SX but that's got the straight style seat.
Going to get stuck into this next week
Strip polish and rebuild engine, redo all the paint etc so it will need stripping down again. Going to rub down the leg shields and mudguard to see if I can get them powdered or have to resort to paint. Got to decide on wheels etc yet before I get in to deep, not to mention colour??
Also need to make a list of exactly what's missing so I can do a one off order to save on postage. Would like to be able to test fit some bits first as I've got to find Italian/Indian replacements but my nearest shop for this stuff is in WSM and they aren't cheap.

clyde said:
Cali_bay said:

Working away for 3 weeks solid then having 3 weeks leave helps.
Spend 3 weeks saving money and sorting through ideas and websites etc for parts then when the wife goes goes to work and the daughter to school its garage time.
Its also nice to work on some different things every know and again. Basically i just like bringing old stuff back from the dead.
You know me.

:lol: ah that's how you do it. Keep the pictures coming 8)

Dont see many with original seats, nice that your going to preserve it infact it would be nice to see one thats not been Italianised too much, they were a good bike and much prettier with the turning mudguard also very strong engines, ask any one with a tuned or racing bike what rear hub they favour.
have you tried Buzzsolomoto? they usually have a few Spanish bits.

Yeah just got a nice box of bits from Buzz.
Will try my hardest to keep it spanish but im affraid some of the insides might have to be remade parts.
Not many spanish only parts anyway as far as i can see. Headlight glass (still got it and its cleaned up nicely) front mudguard (seems to be in good nick) and the speedo (which is going up to Jem Booth for a little magic?)
Also got a "El Tigra" seat badge to put on the new seat cover.
Ive also got a later winter model engine which came in the deal, and thats got the S3 style engine case with the extra strength which allows you to retain the S2 kick start (some differences in normal S2 and S3 kick starts i believe which dont allow them to be swapped over)
Got a call today to say the seat frame is ready for collection from the blasters, so although its along way from being needed i might get the cover next week as motivation.
Going to start the engine strip and polish once ive got Oktoberfest over and done with, and ive had some ideas for the contrasting colour ;)

I think the s2 kickstart sticks out further than the s3 to clear the wider bodywork. I tried to keep my Italian GP all original and ended up with a nice pile of original expensive parts that are too worn to be of any use, remade parts are fine if you stick to Scooter restorations and the like, they buy their parts direct from sil and weed out anything thats not up to scratch, never had a problem with them, MB make alot of their own parts too which are always top quality.
keep the pics coming ;)

Latest posts