END FLow? Shims OR Rebuild

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VeeDubSmithy

Reaction score
Hey,
I brought my micro bus in January and I knew it had an oil leak due to end flow. So went about taking the engine out to put some shims behind the fly wheel also replace the seals.
So I googled and youtubed how to do it as i didnt have a clue.
I used one of them dial test indicator (DTI) things and I ended up using a metal rule. Worked out to be about 3mm of play on the fly wheel and that was with the origional shims in there.

I worked it out to be about 8 different size shims I will need. Is that too much or am I doing something wrong?

Also when I check the end flow the roter arm moves too and I dont think thats going to help my timing.

Any advice would be great as I want my camper back on the road!! :( :( :roll:
Cheers

Not 100% sure but think there should only ever be a maximum of 3 shims to take up any float. Plus if there's 3mm of float then I recon it's rebuild time?
Like I said not 100% sure but when I had,a bash at rebuilding mine I vaguely remember something about only 3 shims? Think end float is around 007mm to 015mm so 3mm is way too much? Someone with a bit more know how on here should be able to answer better, I'm just going from memory from a while back.

If you have 3mm of endfloat, you won't be able to take that out by re-shimming it...

Latest posts