fan belt tension, drivin me mad !!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrs hoskins

Reaction score
help someone, ive refitted my fan belt about a dozen times this morning and still cant get the tension right, its far too slack, and I haven't put any shims in at all. im using a 906 belt from JK and a new JK pully ,

from the alternator working to the front the order is

back half of pully
no shims
front half of pully
4 spare shims
retaining plate thingy
spring washer
retaining bolt

what am I doing wrong , is there a diagram anywhere

and Sharky , can I join your woodruff key therapy group.........bloody,bloody,bloody stupid things :lol:

Length of belt is fine, is the front the pulley pulling in, i would try all 8 shims first and see if it tightens ups and then start placing shims one at a time at the back

Have you run it to let the belt find it's correct 'position' in the pulley groove?

i thought no shims meant tight as a .............not loose as a ...etc

anyway problem solved

when I put the retaining plate on the centre threaded spindle, there is an unthreaded shoulder which restricted the nut being tightened fully. I packed out using about 6 spare shims, giving enuf clearance to tighten the nut fully.......hey presto, 15mm play on the belt , 90deg twist, and no more rattly alternator.....deep joy :)

mrs hoskins said:
help someone, ive refitted my fan belt about a dozen times this morning and still cant get the tension right, its far too slack, and I haven't put any shims in at all. im using a 906 belt from JK and a new JK pully ,

from the alternator working to the front the order is

back half of pully
no shims
front half of pully
4 spare shims
retaining plate thingy
spring washer
retaining bolt

what am I doing wrong , is there a diagram anywhere

and Sharky , can I join your woodruff key therapy group.........bloody,bloody,bloody stupid things :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not easy are they Bob!!

Spoke to the Vehicle 'lectrician today who is gonna refurb me Dyno and told him the cufuffle i had with the key and he said to put a small centre pot on it to form a tiny ridge so you then have to tap it in the groove ever so slightly.
Also me Dyno needed shimming to take out the endfloat (see video) hopefully taking the squeal/warble away when new bearings fitted and a new armature while he's got it all for 40 notes.

haha, stupid invention :)

watched your vid , and did think theres a lot of end float........mines an alternator, and theres no end float at all......and now its quiet as a .........alternator, now that ive got the belt ok

Latest posts