Finally took the plunge and rolled one

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigsid

Reaction score
After a year of owning the kit I finally plucked up the courage to roll one of the busses
Was less traumatic than expected and certainly gave the neighbours something to talk about :lol:

DSC04088.jpg

DSC04108.jpg

DSC04111.jpg

yes i can see why it took a while. the thought is a little worrying that just that little bit of metal is going to safely roll yr dub! I've got an early bay stored nr swanmore that will be getting the same treatment at some point. Just need to get the boss to make me a roller as they are way to expensive for my pocket to buy :(
What work are you doing to it? :)

Thing that made it safer was the supporting legs clamped to the bumber mountings points on the chassis. Using these it could only ever fall back about 6 inches as I was jacking it up ( and up and up and up.... )

Was actually scapping the bus in the photo's. It really was beyong saving (and i've done some pretty major stuff over the years so i'm inclined to want to save even terrible basket cases.) Used the plasma cutter to get all the RHD parts off as I want to convert one of my LHD busses over to RHD as a longterm project.

Also rescued the tin top as it was in great condition and I know someone will want one someday.

Shame to see it go. It had been a handy winter run arround for the last 4 years saving taking the others out in the salt.

So really I was a bit of a coward as if the rolling had gone wrong I didn't have too much to lose. Now I've done it I will be much happy over rolling the others.

Its the back end of a splitscreen doublecab. Front end is visible in my avatar.

Interesting history on that one as its featured on US TV in a seriies called Mythbusters. It was owned by one of the presenters an used in a lot of the early serries in the filming.

Not many people have seen the program over here as its only on satelite , but I have had contact from people in US who were interested in its background.

i was planning on doing this as well, but wasnt sure what width and height clearance i would need in my garage to roll it.

Guess it depends on the design of the roller frame , but I needed at least 2ft more than the height of the van.

bigsid said:
Interesting history on that one as its featured on US TV in a seriies called Mythbusters. It was owned by one of the presenters an used in a lot of the early serries in the filming.

WOW i always loved his splitty.. used to watch that all the time

Latest posts