Fire Supression system

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hotrod

Reaction score
Hi guys,

You may remember a few months ago I posted up some pictures of the Fire Supression system I bought (Fireboy).

I've eventually got round to fitting it. This is a gas operated system which is very neat, approx 6" long on the cylinder (inc the head) and 3" diameter. It comes with full fitting kit and instructions, even coming with a drill bit to drill the holes.

I decided I wanted to make mine removable should I need to work on the engine so came up with the idea of fixing the extinguisher to a mounting plate which I could then fix up inside the engine bay. My bus is a 72 crossover which has the steel plates above the engine with the holes in. The way I fixed the plate was to get some penny washers, trim them down in width on two sides so they would pass through the width of the holes in the plate above. I had to slightly elongate the hole in the centre as well allowing me to drop a 8mm bolt through the centre of the washer. I was then able to slot this up through the hole in the plates above. I then got some tap washers, punching a 8mm hole out in the centre, sliding them over the bolts and push them in to the steel plate, centering the bolts. I then placed another washer on the bolt, locking it up with the nut leaving 4 studs protruding from the plate above as you'll see in the photos.

The next thing I did was cut a 3mm aluminium plate approx 300mm x 200mm. I cut a slot in the centre which allowed the extinguisher to sit in to, so when bolted up with the u brackets it'd pull up nice and tight. To cushion this I trimmed around the edge of the aperture so this would cushion the extinguisher when it was bolted up tight with the brackets. I then drilled the four holes through the aluminium plate to mount on to the studs and one just above the head of the unit to pass the cables through. I then gave the plate a clean up and gave it a few coats of silver spray to tidy it up. I then pushed the plate on to the studs and fitted with washers and nuts. I've wired the earth connection but have yet to run the cable to the front to mount the warning light. This I will do at a later date so no pictures yet.

I can now remove my extinguisher within a few minutes should I need to get into the engine bay to carry out any work but it fits quite tight in the top and doesn't get in the way. This is only my method of fixing it but there wouldn't be a problem if you just followed the instructions supplied with the extinguisher.

For the technical side of the extinguisher, check out http://www.vwaircooledworks.co.uk.

This looks a really neat system once mounted with no pipes having to run across the top of your engine bay so everything is kept extremely neat and tidy.

Here are the photos:

znfd.jpg

23g4.jpg

x1kk.jpg

866j.jpg

2wvm.jpg

pq8o.jpg

uboh.jpg

5zhn.jpg

zcw3.jpg

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask and I'll get back to you.

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Really nice piece of work and thanks for the posting. This is a different spin on the standard way of fixing which is to drill through from the rear load bed and fix brackets that way.

In terms of anyone interested in the system we will still run the forum price of £175 delivered for the std system with 10mm LED, if you want a 52mm VDO style gauge and undermount bracket that comes in at £240. All prices are next day delivered to your choice of address. We are trading at Whitenoise, SkegVegas and Busfest.

Once again, cheers Steve would you mind emailing me the pictures as would love to use them for our stand promo at Busfest.

Hi Steve,

Very tidy install with great attention to detail as always. I have a Firetec waiting to fit :roll:

The van running ok? Are you coming down this way to Big Sunday at all?

https://www.facebook.com/BIG.SUNDAY.1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice to see a update, got any more news?

Cheers!

Alistair

Hey Steve,, you can`t just do it like everyone else can you ;) That is bloody superb (again) .

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,You have way too much spare time in my opinion :mrgreen:

Looks good.

Would it work quicker/better if it was above the engine (as in further back) where the fuel pipes are as it's these that usually start the fire?

Latest posts