fitting a type 4 in a bus .

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oslo_mark69

Reaction score
A mate of mine asked me to fit a type 4 in a split . Has anyone done this ( im sure there is ) what should I need to know

depends muchly on what you have in the split to start with, and what is planned for gear ratios. My split came with a 1600 AS motor mated to the original gearbox, same engine as fitted to the early bays, my early bay came with 1800 type 4 and 3 rib box which fitted the earlier transmission, but when I changed to the later 6 rib box which came with the 2 liter motors the engine/clutch housing joint had changed, one studs one bolts, the gearbox to clutch housing joint was common so transferring the clutch housing fixed the problem and made the starter motor work. Had slight change to the gearshift rod length which was fixed by cutting and rebonding the flex coupling. The type 4 motors are heavier and vw provided rear mounts which the splits dont have, fairly easy to fix if your a welder. The tins, generator, fan drive, oil cooling are different, you need to adapt one way or the other. The early engines designed for single central carb with exhaust heat pipe to manifold to help with manifold icing, the T4s designed for twin carbs and hence no heat pipe, dont be tempted to go for central progressive.

Latest posts