Fitting a underbody gas cylinder?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supertramp

Reaction score
Has anyone done this on their early? I'm thinking the likes of the late style westy with the tank under the sliding door or something like this:
http://www.gasure.co.uk/gasfit.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reason being mostly for space of having the gas bottle in the bus and needing a drop out vent, as well as cost of butane vs lpg.
Any ideas?

In theory yes I like the idea, but the need for it to be low on the side I don't like

If it could be mounted between the chassis rails with a different way to fill it would be better, and the cost puts me off

rallye dale said:
In theory yes I like the idea, but the need for it to be low on the side I don't like

If it could be mounted between the chassis rails with a different way to fill it would be better, and the cost puts me off

Yeah I'm not keen on the look. Just trying to suss out the best way of setting things up for extended travelling. If it was just short trips gas bottles under the buddy seat would be ok, but months away and space becomes a premium. Wonder if Gasure could fit between the chassis rails.

rallye dale said:
I'm looking at which gas to use at the minute, depending on size of bottles and availability here and possiby abroad

That was part of my thinking, on the continent it'd be easier to fill up with LPG than finding refill points. Decisions decisions...

Don't worry about what gas you are going to use as there is a regulator that now does both
propane and butane and has a working pressure of 30 millibar. LPG appliances run at 37 millibar in the UK.
Propane is normally 37 millibar and butane is 28 millibar working pressure.
It was developed for the motorhome and caravanning industries. It is quite expensive piece of kit but well worth while if you are doing a lot of Euro travel.
Whats nice about the latest version is it has a built in safety so, if you are using the gas while driving and someone hits you it has a shut off valve and has to be manually reset.
I hear they are around £100 or so.( I think ). Try caravanning shops etc. if you are interested.

J & P
:D :D :D

check out FES Autogas for their Gas-It range..http://www.gasit.co.uk/index.php?_a=category&cat_id=26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rob

I've had work done by Steve before (Gasure) and he's good at his stuff. Wouldn't hesitate to use him again, and there are very few people I'll say that about.

I also know that Propex have been working on another larger tank that a mate had fitted in the bottom of her Westy Wardrobe, she lived in her van for 4 months and used £8.57 worth of LPG heating and eating of it. would have been over ten times as much if not 100 using camping gaz bottles.

I still use the the 907 camping gaz bottle in my dorma and its still in its original place in its original tray and ...............next to the engine :lol: and works fine. I think that our roads are that bad id be careful about a tank underneath

I clicked on the pic(t2) in Alex's post from Propex, wow the closeup shows just how exposed the
bits and pieces are including the gas feed from tank to heater. :shock: :shock: Not for me personally.
Never mind all the holes that have been drilled, for the rear heater tubes.

J & P

Alex VW Heritage said:
Underslung tank you say ;)

http://www.propexheatsource.co.uk/underslung-lpg-vapour-tanks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See that looks perfect. And the cost of LPG is a massive factor.

montypsx said:
I still use the the 907 camping gaz bottle in my dorma and its still in its original place in its original tray and ...............next to the engine :lol: and works fine. I think that our roads are that bad id be careful about a tank underneath

gas1man said:
I clicked on the pic(t2) in Alex's post from Propex, wow the closeup shows just how exposed the
bits and pieces are including the gas feed from tank to heater. :shock: :shock: Not for me personally.
Never mind all the holes that have been drilled, for the rear heater tubes
J & P

My Westy is stock height (read high) and will be staying that way, so I'd have thought unless I went off road I'd be OK? As for the exposed pipes, assuming I could tidy that setup up a bit for more protection?
I'm trying to find the best solution for this as I really don't want to lose the space in the buddy seat/wardrobes because two of us (one is a girl... :roll: :roll: ) in one bus for six months will need as much space as possible.

I recon that if you use the same method as they have on the underslung bottle and
the installation is done properly you wont have a problem. To be fair you can hide a lot of that pipe work,
and do what I did and cut into the main heater pipe install a y piece and
I now have heating throughout the whole van using the original pipes all the way up to the windscreen.
One bonus is that I can still attach my original heater tubes on the system, these I unplugged where they
attach from the heat exchangers.
Have fun. Feel free to pm me if you have any queries (anyone).

J & P

Latest posts