Fitting Deluxe Window Trim

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vil

Reaction score
I have decided to fit Deluxe Window Trim to my Westy all round, anyone have any experience or tips on this? I needed new front and rear window seals so I thought what the hey! I would go Deluxe :) I have not done this before in any of my Beetles and I understand getting the chrome trim in the rubber can be a ball ache.. :? Help!

Just fitted some new chrome trim to my deluxe, the rubber was already there, all I can say is 'get the proper tool' I fitted it by hand with a screwdriver and some fairy liquid :oops: It took nearly five hours and I still have no feeling in my thumbs. Does look great when its done. Ive seen the tool on ebay for about a tenner.

JK sell the tool for about £8 i think....

without being a kill-joy, is washing up liquid the best stuff to use, or not......does it not have salt in it that can be harmful to the rubber?

I did all mine this year (new rubbers & trim). Fit the rubbers to the glass first then put the delux trim in the rubber BEFORE you fit the window. Trust me this is alot easier than trying to get it in with the window in place. It is also best to have the trim in a bucket of warm / hot water before fitting, makes it softer for going round the corners.
KY gelly (honest :lol: ) is good for puting around the window frame when fitting.
(this is all when using the plastic type delux trim)
Good luck :D

in the trade we tend to use water based glass cleaner,just spray it on,when there in theres no mess to clean up and it dosent damage anything(like the others have said buy the tool)oh and tape up round the paint work with masking tape(3 or 4 layers) :wink: one slip with those things and it costs

Apparently the best place for DeLuxe trim is West Coast Metric...

http://www.westcoastmetric.com/latebus.php

Look under late bus, no distinction between early and late bays. The DeLuxe trim is two pages on from where the link takes you.

My rear window was replaced using some trim from MegaBug - it's two years old and still looks OK but I know it's plastic. Having seen the struggle it was to fit I'd go along with fitting in the rubber before placing in the bus.

Latest posts