Floor panels - Repro v Genuine VW.... quality?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darrencambs

Reaction score
Hi all,

Having stripped the load bay floors this weekend, I reckon I need to replace around 1/3 of the entire floor area. So thinking potentially it may be easier to just replace the floor entirely.

Anyone used the genuine VW items or reproduction to do this? After looking at the usual suspects, it seems repro are around £45 per side and 'genuine VW' around £130 per side. Is the extra £170 or so money worth spending to get the pukka items?

As the bus is a RHD, left hand slider I know I'll have to doctor the panels to fit, but I'd be interested in hearing peoples opinions.

Can't speak specifically on the floor panels but so far most repro parts I have seen/used are horrible compared to the OG stuff, the gauge of the metal is no where near as thick as OG. Ask the suppliers if the metal is the same gauge.

Mags

i used repro on my cousins bus, while they do the job the main prob i found was they were too thin. so even spot welding pulls them all over the place.he wouldent pay the axtra,he made a valid point that they would be coverd with insulation and a sheet of ply but after fitting them once i would never use them on a bus of mine

i`ve fitted both and the cost savings made by buying repro do come back to bite you in the ass...why? well
1 they is too thin
2 the genuine ones are more ridgid
3 the genuine ones have a nice lip that fits when welding and the repro ones don`t
4 the repro ones sag between the top hats ( see point one)
5 the repro ones are genuinely crap and cost extra labour to fit!
be warned if its cheap it inevitably costs more in the long run with lots of swearing too.
this point can be applied to just about anything vw from a beetle to a t5

Gents,

Thanks for your replies... I guess you've told me what I expected to hear!

Looks like OG is the way to go as I don't really want to be doing the job again in a few years time.

Much appreciated.

Latest posts