flooring advice

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob-stone

Reaction score
I’m in the process of fitting an interior in my new bus

I’m looking for some tips as to how to lay a ply wood floor and carpet it. Today I cut my sections of wood, and have a nice snug fit, however I am a tad unsure as to what, if anything to lay behind it. And im not sure how to lay a carpet on top of it

What have you guys done?

And as ever, photos would be useful.

…oh, by bus is a late one (sorry guys). In the middle of the cargo floor I have a hole, that I believe is part of the heating. Is it ok to cover over this?

If you've got a hole in the middle of your cargo floor it's more likely to be something to do with where your table sits!
If you've got an intact belly pan I wouldn't worry about the hole - if not you'll need to sort it first so road water doesn't splash up and rot your plywood/carpet!

;)

I will do a laminate floor in mine. The carpet will get trashed from mud & beer...

Im sure the hole is for the heating, as it left the factory as a microbus. It angles towards the front. My bus hasnt any belly pans and when you look underneath it gets lost behind that bloody ugly pipe running the lenght of the van.
Just not sure if its wise to cover it up? will have to see if there is a way to disconnect it.
I dont like the idea of having a vent in the middle of my floor!

Laminate would be practical (perhaps cheaper as i have a few packets of it in the loft) However im all about the red carpet at the mo.

me too!

PhonePic015.jpg

VanInsideBack.jpg

Mine used to be a microbus, no hole in the floor until I put the table in! :roll:

How do you plan to use the bus?

This makes the choices clearer if you have a use in mind.
When I did my first Surf bus, I used an MDF base, thin fibre underlay and then kitchen floor vinyl, this made for a hard wearing and very easy to clean bus.

Although currently i have an MDF base and bathroom carpet (decent stuff) in the camper, still easyish to clean but feels warmer.

T

(Using the bathroom carpet as I have a couple of spillers in the back aged three and five :lol: )

Easy...that is a sweet lookin' interior... 8) Very Nice..

Stuck my carpet with spray adhesive worked a treat and nothing a stiff brush wont sweep out. eh ez

I'm in the middle of doing this whole thing myself. I used some laminate flooring underlay from B&Q to go under the plywood floor, cut out all the various holes, got the laminate flooring holes cut out and will be glueing the down this weekend. My previous floor was really soaking. Also wire brushed off the little bits of surface rust and hammerited it.

I too have a hole in the floor which looks like it has been cut out. I think it something to do with ventilation for a fridge unit that used to be there. I cut the hole out of the plywood so it can be accessed easily - wasn't too sure how to tackle it.

L

this is what i have....

DSCF0799.jpg

..and what it looks like underneath
DSCF0803.jpg

i may just disconnect the thing/bung it up somehow, perhaps route it elsewhere. Cant be bothered with it right now as i have a tonne of lesson plans to write.

however i did make these this morning! just waiting for my little speakers to arrive so i can finish them off with a tiny bit of trimming, evo stik & black vinyl.
DSCF0797.jpg

Its going to look a little like the one pictured above (easy?)
Just pretty bare with a R&R bed, Im a freelance product designer/ trainee design tutor, and i have a kick ass table in the pipeline.

A friend of mine works at a place that supplys paint shop consumables to places like Aston Martin and Rolls Royce, They also supplt bits of trim such as carpet!.......I just like the idea of having James Bond's Rug in the back of my van :D

rob-stone said:

Its going to look a little like the one pictured above (easy?)
Just pretty bare with a R&R bed, Im a freelance product designer/ trainee design tutor, and i have a kick ass table in the pipeline.

A friend of mine works at a place that supplys paint shop consumables to places like Aston Martin and Rolls Royce, They also supplt bits of trim such as carpet!.......I just like the idea of having James Bond's Rug in the back of my van :D

Mate, sounds like plush rug is the way forward...nice 8)

I have changed the table to a little perspex number now! with some cheeky differences :wink:

Latest posts