Dormobile and leisure battery questions

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 1970 Dormobile. I'm in the process of reinstating the Flavel Romford II stove behind the front passenger seat. This had not been fitted since before I owned the van, 3 years ago. I am wondering where the best place to have the gas for it is? I inderstand the gas cylinder used to be opposite where the 12v battery is, and with fixed piping.

I'd also like to fit an AGM leisure battery and but thought of locating it opposite the 12v battery, as I'd like to have it set up on a split charge, and link it to a solar panel. I already have a mains hook up fitted.

Could a small gas cylinder be stored in the cupboard behind the passenger seat bulkhead and connectedas necessary?
The leisure battery could go under the rear seat.

I'm looking for some advice please, (I'm an absolute novice on electrics, but learning) what are the pros and cons.

I'm only reinstating the stove so I can put a brew on in a lay by, rather than relying on it for all cooking whilst camping. I'd like to run a 12v/240v coolbox / fridge, like the Dellonda 36L off the leisure battery.

Also, if anyone hears of anyone selling Dormobile furniture, particularly the long side unit please can they let me know.

Grateful thanks,

Jules

Attachments

• 20230626_182947.jpg
    20230626_182947.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230520_212603.jpg
    20230520_212603.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 4
One of the Sussex club members is selling an original Dormobile table that 'clips' onto the side of the long unit. If you are interested I can put you in touch?

Personally I'd fit the gas in the unit behind the driver's seat, and then you have room in the engine bay for the leisure battery.
Thanks sparkywig, I like that thinking. Do you have any experience or thoughts on a split charge from the alternator to the 12v car battery and the leisure battery. Thanks, Jules

Thanks sparkywig, I like that thinking. Do you have any experience or thoughts on a split charge from the alternator to the 12v car battery and the leisure battery. Thanks, Jules
Hi Jules
Drop me an email or pm on here and I can steer you in the right direction on the leisure battery set up, agree with sparky that the cupboard behind the bulkhead would be the best place for the gas, you should be able to get a campinggaz 907 in there

Don’t gas cylinders and batteries have to be stored in vented areas? Can sealed batteries give off gas?

Hi all,

I have a 1970 Dormobile. I'm in the process of reinstating the Flavel Romford II stove behind the front passenger seat. This had not been fitted since before I owned the van, 3 years ago. I am wondering where the best place to have the gas for it is? I inderstand the gas cylinder used to be opposite where the 12v battery is, and with fixed piping.

I'd also like to fit an AGM leisure battery and but thought of locating it opposite the 12v battery, as I'd like to have it set up on a split charge, and link it to a solar panel. I already have a mains hook up fitted.

Could a small gas cylinder be stored in the cupboard behind the passenger seat bulkhead and connectedas necessary?

I'm looking for some advice please, (I'm an absolute novice on electrics, but learning) what are the pros and cons.

I'm only reinstating the stove so I can put a brew on in a lay by, rather than relying on it for all cooking whilst camping. I'd like to run a 12v/240v coolbox / fridge, like the Dellonda 36L off the leisure battery.

Also, if anyone hears of anyone selling Dormobile furniture, particularly the long side unit please can they let me know.

Grateful thanks,

Jules
I removed one of those passenger seat cookers from my van, I've still got if anyone wants it , rattled on the move and i don't want to cook inside. The gas bottle was under the small seat behind the drivers seat with a vent hole in the floor, like a plug hole, gas is heavier than air.

I'm on my second Dormobile and both have used the cupboard behind the driver to store the gas bottle. My first dormie was plumbed in with a hard line running from the front of the cupboard under the walkthrough heater vents and in through the Pax side bulkhead. My current Dormobile stores the had bottle behind the driver but I take it out and connect it to the regulator under the passengers seat when I want to use it.

If your reinstating the cooker do you still have the isolation / safety valve on the front of the pax bulkhead?

Hi all,

Grateful thanks,

Jules
Mine is under the seat next to the fridge as my fridge which also works on gas

Attachments

• 1BF0B76A-8C41-419B-B74F-3164E20007B7.jpeg
    1BF0B76A-8C41-419B-B74F-3164E20007B7.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 0
I'm on my second Dormobile and both have used the cupboard behind the driver to store the gas bottle. My first dormie was plumbed in with a hard line running from the front of the cupboard under the walkthrough heater vents and in through the Pax side bulkhead. My current Dormobile stores the had bottle behind the driver but I take it out and connect it to the regulator under the passengers seat when I want to use it.

If your reinstating the cooker do you still have the isolation / safety valve on the front of the pax bulkhead?
Hi Benyon,
Good question about the isolation / safety valve on the front of the pax bulkhead. I've not noticed one for sure, and didn't realise there should
/ would normally be one. I think I'll store the bottle in the cupboard behind the pax bulkhead and just connect it to the regulator when i want to cook, as you do.

I've just got the rear of seat to bulkhead bracket/hook for securing / releasing the seat back, from Buttys Bits. I thought the bolts were excessive for fixing the cupboard to the bulkhead!

I've stilripped it down to clean ut up and look forcant obvious issues. I'm waiting for a local heating engineer to test the stove in it's uninstalled state for me, just to check it is safe. There is one screw which I think is some sort of valve or adjustment missing from the underside between the ignition knob and the hob burner. Otherwise, it looks sound to my novice eye.

Attachments

• 20230630_194340.jpg
    20230630_194340.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 1
Hi Benyon,
Good question about the isolation / safety valve on the front of the pax bulkhead. I've not noticed one for sure, and didn't realise there should
/ would normally be one. I think I'll store the bottle in the cupboard behind the pax bulkhead and just connect it to the regulator when i want to cook, as you do.

I've just got the rear of seat to bulkhead bracket/hook for securing / releasing the seat back, from Buttys Bits. I thought the bolts were excessive for fixing the cupboard to the bulkhead!

I've stilripped it down to clean ut up and look forcant obvious issues. I'm waiting for a local heating engineer to test the stove in it's uninstalled state for me, just to check it is safe. There is one screw which I think is some sort of valve or adjustment missing from the underside between the ignition knob and the hob burner. Otherwise, it looks sound to my novice eye.
If your disconnecting the gas bottle after use it's less of a concern but on the front of the bulkhead there would normally be an isolation valve with a long paddle type handle that sticks out so if the cooker is folded away with the gas still on it won't fold back far enough for the seat to go down, you'll see on the outside/back of the cooker there will be a bit of the black frame that sticks out which requires the isolation valve to be closed.
I don't have a picture of mine but this one is off a Landrover so doesn't have the long paddle handle.

Attachments

• gasValve.jpg
    gasValve.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1
Hello all- sorry to thread bomb but does anyone have a unwanted dormobile cooker knob ??
I’ve refitted mine but sadly lost one along the way.
Will pay cash and postage 🌈👍

Hi Dizzy T2, thanks for your reply. I like your interior layout. Do you by any chance have any Dormobile furniture you don't want (worth an ask)?
I’ve got bunks , table slider rail , a shelf , and some doors and lids. All varying degrees of decay but useable. 🌈👍

Latest posts