• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For Sale- 1979 T2 Lowered Brown 1800 Type4 Latebay New Price

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSG

Reaction score
1979 Late Bay - I have owned this bus for two years. Bought it as an import form Oregon. The bus is dry with no rust. The only things I replaced were the cab steps using repair panels (just the step part, not the dogleg area), battery tray and also it has had a new lower windscreen surround. I also repaired a couple of the corners on the side windows and the LHS rear arch to cill, which was just a skin patch where there was a hole for some reason. Tyres are brand new, and the original wheels were sand blasted, and professionally repainted in Aztec Gold. Brakes were refurbished and work excellent.

The paint is original, and has been waxed regularly. There are patches of original primer and the top half has been overpainted in the past but it looks great. There is a dent in the RHS rear quarter that i have left as I don't mind it. It is in the photos below. Gutters are clean, they have surface rust as most do, but it is surface rust and not deep rot by any means. The front panel had holes for a spare wheel holder, which i welded up and have clear-coated as i didn't have time to paint.

Electrics all work fine. Lights are UK spec, all of them work well. Leisure battery has split charge relay from Duratec, and the leisure battery is in the engine bay under the wheel well on the left. Both leisure battery and van battery are brand new. Inside, the bus has a Dometic RC1600 cooler which runs on 240v via the mains hook up (which has a consumer unit and 2 double USB and 240v sockets) and also 12v via the leisure battery. In the cab there is an electric aftermarket washer bottle and pump - works via a switch on the dash. Three gauges sit on the dash - oil temp, oil pressure and tachometer - all linked to the engine via a sandwich plate between oil filter and housing. Engine bay is illuminated via a switch in the spare wheel well using LED and runs off the leisure battery.

Engine is an 1800 type4 with twin 34 ICT webers with CB Performance linkage. Carbs have been re-jetted to suit this engine, emulsions have also been changed to suit. The majority of the engine electrics are new. The engine came out about 5 weeks ago due to a small issue with a carb jet coming out on the rhs (cyl 1). We inspected and found no issues, removed the small bit of debris and rebuilt from the barrels out with a light clean up on the way. All bolts were torqued correctly. Engine was cleaned whilst out and painted all tinware (all present) to match bus. Exhaust is standard stock exhaust. Heat exchangers are original, present and in good working condition (couple of air leaks, but this can be sorted if you know what you are doing). Heater risers (from heat exchangers to bellows) are brand new.

Gearbox is in good condition, i forget the code, but it pulls the bus nicely, and we cruise at about 55-60 on the motorway on journeys without getting too hot.

There is an Eberspacher BA6 under the bus which is in working order, although it is not fully serviced, just working order. We use it for heat to clear the windscreen in the morning, and for defrosts in the winter. This has had a new set of relays and new dash switch to match. Whilst in that area, there is an air horn to replace the standard horn, but the wiring and standard horn is still in place should you wish to switch back. Front belly present and fitted.

Underside is dry and rust free. Front beam has adjusters and dropped spindles fitted, new front wheel bearings too. Brakes are all overhauled and working well. Rear suspension - has adjustable spring plates from transporterhaus, and is lowered nicely but not too far. The driveshafts had a refurb and have NOS CV boots. (we tried the cheap ones which perished within one month)

Clutch and release bearing are new, and also there is a malpassi filter king in there which is brand new. The engine bay has a firetec system which is an automatic fire extinguisher. All fuel lines have been swapped out for Gates barricade (if you know what this is, you will know it is the best) and this was done about 3 weeks ago.

Interior is 4 berth. For a young family. We have a full width rnr bed on brand new hinges. The bench seat behind the cab seats is a kids bed and we have a JK/Heritage cab bunk. The whole interior is colour matched to the front seats which are from an MGF and are the higher quality seats. These are fully adjustable on their runners too. The whole bus has been insulated with closed cell foam and Silentcoat, the floor has been covered with 18mm Ply and hopefully i will get round to putting some actual flooring in there soon, that is pretty much the last thing to do. Full set of curtains in the bus and a wrap around windscreen cover (like Buseyes ones).

I have tried to detail as much as poss, can't think of anything else right now my brain is fried from that, but just ask i am free to answer any questions.

Reason for sale? - Our eldest is 6 and is getting too long for her bed so we are going to be looking for a poptop bus now, and probably heading for the T5 option or a caravan (can’t believe i just said that. sorry) I am gutted to have to sell, i put my heart and soul into this bus but I am trying to be practical here.

Price £11950.00 ovno

Location Ashford in Kent.
No swaps. May take PX on something like a notchback or slammed black beetle, but no more than 2,500 - 3,000 px value

Viewing welcome by appointment only.
Phone 07827917628 7am-7pm or text first if after 7pm and i will call you back (please, i have a 3 year old too who is a light sleeper)

Open to sensible offers, i know it's not an early, come and take a look, it doesn't disappoint.

Latest posts