Front Panel, Options available?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironage

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Been working on our 72 Crossover and stripped the front panel, shouldn't have looked!!!!! :cry: anyway found some nice fillered over accident damage and rot under the window rubber in the corners ,this has gone through to the inner top as well,

looking at options, isee you can get various repro fronts and fab it to make it look early but they all have a raised plinth for the badge, i'm thinking the best bet would to try and get one thats been cut from a californian bus? would that be the best route? and would you fit it complete as an inner and outer rather than unpick all of the spot welds?

i would be grateful if you could point me to any links showing this job, any tips appreciated as well, thanks in advance.

Stanley034.jpg

Stanley055.jpg

Stanley059.jpg

Top of mines gone. I'm planning to cut the top few inches out, put a new inner in complete and then cut the top few inches off a repro outer panel.

Never done it before so I'll see how it goes. I just thought it was a shame to cut the whole lot off for the little bit that was rotted

Hi, its not that clear in the photos but the panel has been squished and badly repaired on the drivers side as well, other wise i would do what you are going to do, good luck with yours

I've been doing the front panel on mine, take a look at http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23031" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
The front panels available can vary slightly in width; I am on my second replacement as the first one I fitted needed widening. I pulled it off and am in the middle of fitting another which is a much better fit. Best of luck with sourcing a OG secondhand front; I've seen a few which needed work on the lower edge and windscreen flange area, so still might be in need of a certain amount of repair.

Thanks for the link to your thread, thats very useful, when you cut and welded badge pressing didn't it distort alot? thanks again

There was a little distortion, but to tell the truth I think I hurried the welding. I've seen some other panels that have had the badge bulge removed and there has been very little distortion. I am in two minds as to leave the bulge on and cover it with a spare wheel mount, although I know its a cop out and really I should get the bulge off, take my time plating the hole and stick a badge on the front instead.
From my experience if you remove the bulge before the panel is fitted, you have the advantage of good rear panel access to paint the inside of it, but possibly then may get a problem with panel fit due to it mis-shaping. I have decided to fit my new panel first, and then fill the indicator holes and possibly sort out the badge area. The finish on the back of the panel might not be perfect, but at least I know it fits.

i think thats the wayb i would do it, i've been looking at OG fronts but they are so much money, i might leave the bulge, thanks for the reply

Someone on here, I cant remember who, reprofiled the back of the VW badge so it sat snugly over the buldge

I fitted a front panel with the bulge. I agonised over it for ages whether to try and cut out the bulge and replace it with the coresponding area of the old panel or not (as i did with the high indicators). in the end i left the bulge there and drilled outside it to fit the big badge. the bulge isn't really visible under the badge and if it bugs me later i'll spray up a disk of something to sandwich between the panel and badge and hide that unsightly lump.
the panel was tight though, and i fitted it without checking the fit with the door (opps. how i missed that i'll never know) leaving me with a gap i could get my thumb in. I had to unroll the edge and fold it back again to get the gap right. i'm realy pleased with the result though (phew).

Nice looking van, would it not be possible to back the badge say out of aluminium, cut it into a disc and spray it body colour? it would be a shame to cut that front! thanks for posting the pics

Schofield will 'early' it for you professionally for a bit more, so you receive the repro ready to fit, bulge removed.

I spoke to Alan about the custom made ones but they leave the bulge, i'm going to see if i can do anything with mine first, i just bought a front panel off ebay (repro)to cut about, If i want to replace the top inner valance do i have to cut away the swage or can it be done from the inside? its only the bottom corners of the outer windscreen bottom that are rotten! I'm hoping to graft in part of the new panel to repair the accident damage. cheers Fellas

ironage said:
I spoke to Alan about the custom made ones but they leave the bulge, i'm going to see if i can do anything with mine first, i just bought a front panel off ebay (repro)to cut about, If i want to replace the top inner valance do i have to cut away the swage or can it be done from the inside? its only the bottom corners of the outer windscreen bottom that are rotten! I'm hoping to graft in part of the new panel to repair the accident damage. cheers Fellas

I reckon it can be done from the inside. Looking at mine I want to replace the inner panel first without disturbing the outer one even though i'm cutting it out anyway so I can line the new inner up against the rotten outer so I get the window appeture right without having to mess about measuring

Great idea to put a disc behind the badge and paint it body colour to hide the bulge. Such a simple idea, never occurred to me.

Thanks sannabay and ironage :idea: .

Latest posts