Fuel Pipe Diamiter

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RICH-I-AM

Reaction score
Right im replacing the hose sections of my fuls system on my 1970 Bay.
Do you use 5 or 6mm internal diamiter fuel hose. If memory serves the metal fuel pipe has a 6mm outer diamiter.
Thanks

Rich :D

JK says 7mm
http://www.justkampers.com/shop/type_2_split/fuel-hose-7mm-x-25-per-05-mtr.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I say 5.5mm... 6mm will fit but is a little big. 5mm is a bit on the small side.

I'd say JK has it wrong ;) - they also sell Jubilee clips as suitable fuel hose clips... when they are not very good for fuel hose at all... :?

I use 5.5 as its a 6mm OD

Many palces sell 5mm which is too small and will damage internal wall when putting on.

JK is really bad selling jubilee clips still!! IMHO

Tofufi said:
they also sell Jubilee clips as suitable fuel hose clips... when they are not very good for fuel hose at all... :?

Why not jubilee clips? I've been doing this for years...I'm worried now :shock:

They are just more likely to apply uneven pressure to the hose (apparently).

This type is better in that respect - and has a proper screw thread so can be re-used over and over. Jubilees I find tend to lose the ability to tighten after a while.

SL-LRG.jpg

Jubilees are far far better than no clips though :)

Jubilee clips when tightened oval which allows for breaking of the pipe as well as gaps for leaks, a petrol clamp will hold it all the way round

Ill have to work out the lengths and price mate its not a lot especially for the piece of mind, also if you have a vac carb have you got the correct bent pipe instead of just flexi, last two bugs ive done have both had this missing so made it up

Hear what you say about peace of mind, there seem to be a lot of pictures around of burnt out campers and threads on automatic fire extinguishers - so could also be interested in the 'full kit' as who knows if my fuel lines have ever been changed - just not sure if its the type of job me as a real novice wants to undertake, so its bedtime reading with Mr Bentley I guess!

You can get everything you need from here
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/hoses/hoses.php#clip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I must admit, there is a lot being spouted about fuel-line and clips on internet forums at the moment.....heres a quick 101 on what you need to know...

The R9 grade of fuel line has only 20% of the permiativity to alcohols/ethanols of R7 grade - its designed to be compatible with modern fuels that have elevated bio-fuel content.
In short it does not rot quite as fast as older specs of fuel line - these older grades struggle with modern fuels due to bio-ethanol being added now.

Better yet is marine grade - this is fire resistant for two-and-a-half minutes. Its permiativity is 5% of R7 grade. Not available in the correct 5.5mm ID for VWs unless someone buys a Km of it.!!
It can be found in 6mm and 8mm bores if you have after-market carbs etc.

You need 5.5 or 5.6mm inner diamter hose for stock VW engines with Solex Carbs. 5/16 and 6mm hose is too loose a fit. You need it to stretch elastically over the metal pipes to help stick it securly in place. The clip provides a back-up safety force to grip it into place.

Remember : you often get what you pay for with these things..... buy cheap and you will get cheap quality.

With jubilee (worm /band) clips / clamps there is a man-down-the-pub myth that they are no good for fuel hose. They are perfectly good in so far as you have to select a clip designed to fit the diameter of hose being installed. 9.5mm-12mm clips will do the job on a VW.

Fuel injection (norma style captive nut and screw- as mentioned earlier) clips are equally good : again you have to select a clip designed to fit the diamter of hose you are using. #12 clips should work here : but check the fit and clamping effect as sometimes you need to go a size up or down.

Select the wrong size clip in either case and you may as well not have bothered using one at all. I have clamping force diagrams from manufacturers to support these points of view : I can and post them if necessary :)

Hope this all sounds helpful

cotswoldiver said:
Hear what you say about peace of mind, there seem to be a lot of pictures around of burnt out campers and threads on automatic fire extinguishers - so could also be interested in the 'full kit' as who knows if my fuel lines have ever been changed - just not sure if its the type of job me as a real novice wants to undertake, so its bedtime reading with Mr Bentley I guess!
If you can operate a pair of plastic fuel clamps and a phillips screwdriver and a pipe cutter or blade you can do this job easily its not rocket science

Latest posts