Fuel tank sender unit B and B components???

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manxfella

Reaction score
Has anybody used one of these sender units?

They're half the price of the main sellers, just wondered if they're any good & do they work with the original gauge?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T2-TRANSPORTER-CAMPER-VAN-FUEL-TANK-SENDER-UNIT-211919051-1958-1972-A555-/191401303145?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c90681c69" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well, can't answer your question - sorry about that....

However, i was on the verge of buying one last week. On taking my current sender out of the tank and testing - it just wasn't working. Being curious i took it apart (one small nut on the bottom) and discovered that both wires inside were intact, the slider/float worked just fine and the problem was a poor connection between the 'earth' wire and the earth terminal. i bit of steel wool to clean surfaces then a big glob of solder has made it like new.

Of course, you might have looked inside already and so are convinced you need a new one, in which case my commiserations and apologies as i've not helped

I've just taken mine out and tested the resistance. All I can say is that it has some & the number changes as I move the float so I presume it's working.

However, as it's the original and is stamped 11/70 for the sake of £30 I'd rather change it and not have the hassle later.

Found a bolt in the tank & an unusual looking spring rolling about too, so I'm glad I took it apart!

Where is the gauze filter located? I've unscrewed the bottom hose connection & I can't see it anywhere?

Did you replace your rubber neck? Mine measures 180mm with an internal diameter of 57mm & doesn't seem to match any available?
Looks like I may be cutting a piece.

You're probably right.

I've got a filter king ready to go in, that's got to be an improvement over a piece of gauze!

My filter rotted too, I guess the other debris in there will have wiped it out. A modern plastic fram one, a manual inline on/off tap are all you need as a better replacement.

I bought a piece of pipe on the forum, think someone else had bought a longer length than they needed. Just make sure that it's ethanol resistant, as fitting a tank is not one of the most fun jobs, you don't want to do it too often.

Re the gauge sender and life span. Plenty of people say nos is better than modern replacements so I figured I was just as happy with my 47 year old original, seems to have life in it yet.

Just bought the fuel neck pipe from these guys:

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=7958" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks to be about the cheapest, lets hope its got some quality....

Latest posts