Fuel tank sender unit

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustrat

Reaction score
Any one cut a hole in panel above fuel tank to get at fuel sender unit. If so can you give me some measurements about where to cut. :?: :?: :idea:
Robert

Yup..you can see the result in my restoration thread but used these measurements:

http://www.specialpatrolgroup.co.uk/spooky/access/access.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought I was going to have to do this job too :(

Whilst touring Corsica this in May I found the fuel gauge was reading low but occasionally it was correct. With great prescience of mind I fiddled under the dash and found I could make it react. Turned out the spade terminal on the fuel gauge was dodgy.

I then, with Considerably less prescience of mind, pulled it off whilst the ignition was still on and blew a fuse as it touched earth :lol:

Anyway, replacing the spade terminal whilst on a campsite was another interesting pastime and would have been a lot easier if I were built more like a squid.

VW's own dimensions in this thread:
http://thelatebay.com/index.php?threads/fuel-sender-access.64050/#post-1174736" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If using the 'special patrol group' measurements you need to extend the cut towards the front of the vehicle by @25mm if you don't the sender won't come out!!! (On a xover). Don't ask me how I know :shock:

Cheeky b----r Matt. Just built a complete new engine chap and then he tells me fuel gauge has not worked since he bought it. Done a test and it is sender unit. Dam site easier cutting hole in panel to get at sender and making a cover than taking engine out again.He has done just over a 1000 mile with engine and running as I expected as sweet as a nut with no oil leaks. Still have not found out who bought Adele's Beetle, the only thing that was good about it was the engine I rebuilt.
Robert

Latest posts