Gear Stick

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattd1984

Reaction score
Ok wonder if you can help, last weekend my mate tried to find reverse in my van :( I came back to the van and found the gear stick pointing toward the passenger side. So took it apart and the metal ball at the end of the shaft had come out of the socket bit. so put it back in and bolted it back down and it was working agian. Selecting gears felt a bit different though. Then this weekend same thing again, went to get the electrics done and the guy tried to find a gear and came out the socket again. Not sure what the problem is as now it's back together it doesn't feel right again.

Im not sure if there's a bush missing or something?

Someone else must have had this problem, it seem that the ball and pin arn't sitting down far enough in the socket bit? :?

the front shift rod bush might be worn causing the socket to move downwards possibly?

Jim-Bob said:
the front shift rod bush might be worn causing the socket to move downwards possibly?

Anyone got any picture of this? Are the bush's easy to get hold of?

from VWheritage with picture........
http://www.vwheritage.com/vwh/VW-Camper-Van-Parts/Bus-Parts-1968-79/Hand-Foot-Controls/Gearshift/?templateID=vwh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts