Gearbox cradle help please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendy

Reaction score
Hi
I've got a '71 Deluxe and have got to the stage where I can put in the gear box and engine but I can't see what/how/where supports the gearbox :(
I should probs point out that the gearbox is from a '73, will it even fit??
I spoke to VW Heritage who said I need a cradle and they told me to call Volksmagic for a secondhand one as they are no longer manufactured new.
Mr Volksmagic asked me if it was a front or rear cradle that I needed and I have no idea! I've taken a couple of pics of what is there, if someone could either point me in the right direction of where to look for a diagram or tell me what I need. I've searched for info on tinternet but I've ended up confusing myself as to whether it needs both supports or what :oops:
Is the bracket in the middle of this pic part of the support?
DSC_0930.jpg

And there doesn't seem to be anything at the sides to bolt anything too.
DSC_0929.jpg

DSC_0927.jpg

Any advice gratefully received :)
Thanks

Wendy

Early bays dont have an intermediate gearbox support. The gearbox mount is the central bracket you refer to.

The 73 box will fit.

You support the gearbox bell housing on a jack and then, when the engine is attached, the engine mountings support the whole assembly at the rear of the vehicle.

Errrrrmmm

So now I know that it just has to fit on that central mount bracket does anyone have a picture of what it should look like when it is in position? Or can anyone tell me what bit I need to buy to make it fit? Nothing I've found seems to be the right thing but, that said, I don't have any idea what I'm supposed to be looking for :?
Apologies if it's a dopey question but am new at this :)

You need the top bracket in this picture...
gearbox_hanger01.jpg

...it goes between the gearbox and the bracket you already have

:)

Latest posts