Generator light on...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoPower-NoResp

Reaction score
Argh! My generator light just came on on the m4. I checked the engine and the fan belt was still driving the fan so I made the last 5 miles to Porthcawl and went for a surf. Now I'm wondering will the battery last me the thirty miles home, and is there anyone in the Cardiff / South Wales Valleys with a spare dynamo for a 1971 Westy?

Thanks in advance! :)

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk 2

Just taken it to the local garage. Seems the fan belt is worn and may be slipping. Have ordered a new one so hopefully that'll fix it....

To be continued...

The toothed belts are notorious for wearing so that the reinforcement is left sticking out the sides and slips. Get a solid belt. :)

Thanks all. The garage couldn't get a 905 belt but have fitted a 900 belt, but unfortunately that hasn't gives the light. They now have run out of ideas. I'm not sure if they measured the dynamo output so still don't know if this is a problem. Oslo Mark suggested checking the fuses, which I asked the garage to do, but again not sure if they did that. I'll give them a call in the morning and see what they did. Unfortunately I'm at my in laws and didn't bring a multi meter! Doh!

Hope the new belt isn't too tight!

NoPower-NoResp said:
Thanks all. The garage couldn't get a 905 belt but have fitted a 900 belt, but unfortunately that hasn't gives the light. They now have run out of ideas. I'm not sure if they measured the dynamo output so still don't know if this is a problem. Oslo Mark suggested checking the fuses, which I asked the garage to do, but again not sure if they did that. I'll give them a call in the morning and see what they did. Unfortunately I'm at my in laws and didn't bring a multi meter! Doh!

Hope the new belt isn't too tight!

Worth getting them to check the dynamo brushes. Same happened to me & the brushes had worn & were no longer making contact.

Whs and Check to regulator tooand the wires that connect to it are nice and tight and the regulator is screwed nice and tight to the body , if all good tap it lightly as the contacts inside might be stuck ;)

Chris

As said before its usually the reg/brushes, for what they are worth you may as well replace both, tho the new regs are wired differently and dont come with instructions..........

My gen light came on when I started her up the other day after 500miles n 2 weeks in cornwall of no probs, it eventually went out after a mile or so........running an Alt, cant work out why that happened :?

The brushes look quite big from what I can see. There seems to be a spade on the reg which doesn't have a wire attached, but there aren't any lose wires nearby.

I tried cleaning up the fuses just in case but unfortunately I broke the first one trying to get it back in. :-(

Just spoke to the garage and there is no power being created by the dyno. So off to Marks workshop this afternoon :)

Manage to sort it . The old dynamo was a bit worse for ware . bearings had gone and bushes were unevenly worn . when I stripped it down there wasnt even a woodruf key in the Fan end. :evil: someone botching again
Never mind eventualy found a dynamo that worked even though I had to re-thread the pulley end as the threads where knacked .

As Oslo_Mark69 says, I took it to the Howling Wolf Speedshop...

IMG_20120823_170049.jpg

All worked well and the 'G' light went off. Happy days! Until...

A few miles later the same thing happened! I checked the fanbelt again and it was still intact and turning the dyno and fan, so I carried on home, avoiding unnecessary use of electricity. I spoke with Mark and brought it back to the workshop the next day. He tinkered and tried to get some life out of the dyno, but unfortunately it seemed to be dead. It would occasionally put out, and seemed to maintain the charge, so not much more could be done. Anyway, I set off home with a fully charged spare battery, thanks Mark! I used my jump leads to wire up the spare battery in parallel to the main and made it the 150 miles home. Time for an alternator conversion I think!

IMG_20120826_110741.jpg

Thanks to everyone who posted with advice and especially to Mark for all his help.

I've got an alternator conversion now and I've got more amps than I know what to do with. Celebrated by driving around with the tunes on and the headlights, and I used my indicators where appropriate, how decadent!
:)

Latest posts