Generator Light Staying On

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Nick

Reaction score
Teething Troubles with our recently purchased 69 that has not been used extensively for a while, started her today (after a week) ran for a few mins but the genny light stayed on. Could this be down to low charge or could this be more expensive? The van runs a split charging system for a leisure battery and has a (recentish) alternator conversion.

Cheers me dears!

Nick & Zile

slammedresto said:
could be worn bushes on the alternator

does the light go out if you blip the accelerator??

IIRC, alternators don't have brushes.

Is your fan belt tension correct? About 1/2" of deflection is correct.
Is your alternator grounding out on something, possibly the carb linkage or something else?
How's your voltage regulator?

Also check the fuses. If they are dirty it can cause this.

Generator voltage regulators can get sticky points inside. Try giving it a tap while the engine is running. You can take the top off & flick the points by hand.

Is it generator or alternator?

Its an alternator and is only a couple of years old (done probably 6000 miles tops). Everything was working fine on its last run out.

Cheers Nick

If the alternator is an internal regulator type, they have a diode pack & brushes as one. Sometimes the diodes fail. They are about £20 for another from GSF.

Thanks for the feedback. I have checked the wire and the fuses but the light has a tendancy to stay on for about 20 seconds or so when starting up at low rpm and clearing it self when the throttle is blipped a few times.

PS I am running twin 40's with no chokes so the RPM at start up is governed by the throttle.

Cheers
Nick

have you checked the tension on the belt, if this is ok then try disconnecting the leisure battery as it could be a short on 1 or 2 of the plates in there.or the main battery

if the van is not used regular and batteries not charged then the plates in the batteries will start to swell and cause a short. Then next time u start the bus the Alternator will charge and will try to place charge in batteries but because they will not take it and it still keeps charging you will shorten the life of the Alternator and fry it..

The cold frost we have just had is good for killing batteries if not used, i would look at them if i was you.

Thanks, I have got good charge in the main battery and the leisure battery is buiding up nicely (touch wood) it was completely flat when we collected her. Will try the connection at the speedo end of things and re check the tension on the fan belt.

Cheers

just curious what voltage across the batt terminals? and what across the terminals when the engine is running?

OK thats good, looks like the starter is taking a lot out of the battery, drawing a lot of current therefore taking a little time to replenish from the alternator, may be just an ovehaul required or may be foued slightly, you complaining of a lack of power too???? whats it sounding like when you turn her over ? is it a little laboured? or does she turn and spring into life freely?

Latest posts