generator lights still wont go off.HELP!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skyguy said:
If you are running a dynamo then I would check the brown wire at the back of the dynamo and if this is burnt then you need to check your earth connections. The dynamo does not work in the same way as an alternator in such that it does not need the light to excite it.
Brown wire at the back? I've only got 3 wires going from mine.:/

dazza1975 said:
connect one end to the body work to earth it out and then on the other end put the multi read on the cable and touch the body with the 2nd prong on the reader

This would hide a short on the wire itself. If the burning smell was the insulation on this wire and it is grounding then the light will stay on. Try the long wire check.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

If it is this blue wire is it possible to replace it without having to try n feed it through the same route the old one is?
Or could it just be the connections on the end so I could just replace them?

Oh and what could have caused this wire to burn out? The regulator or dynamo bushes?

Right update.
Me and a mate got a day on the van the other day.
After doing every test of every book (not exaggerating there either)
We established the problem was in the dynamo.

So I bought some new bushes n fitted them today (a bugger of a job I must say)
And still no luck,light still on.
So im guessing it's the inner workings of the dynamo itself.

I have a one pin alternator in the garage but I'm not sure if it works.
Is there a way to test this without fitting it?

The alternator can easily be tested without fitting, by the use of a battery, some bits of cable, a 12v 2 watt bulb and an electric drill.
Connect the B+ stud Terminal direct to the battery positive, connect the battery negative to the body of the alternator, and the D+ blade terminal to the battery positive via the 12v 2w bulb. Run the alternator up with an electric drill with an appropriate socket on the end to drive the alternator via the pulley nut. Check the battery voltage is around 14 volts and the bulb light goes out.
Going back to the dynamo, perhaps I'm too late in this instance, but for others who may read this; provided the bearings, brushes, brush springs, end float are OK and the copper windings (field coils and armature) are OK (not broken or burnt out) nearly every VW dynamo can be started. Due to today's H & S legislation the likes of Haynes and Bentley could not go to print. However, if anyone wants to try the well tried and proven method of starting a dynamo, please email me for details. peter @volksgoods. co.uk without the spaces.
Peter Good

Latest posts