Generators

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

69CAMPMOBILE

Reaction score
Hello my fellow VW bay window lovers. I'm new to this site and just acquired my first VW which is a 69' campmobile from the original owner with lots of stories and history behind the original bus.

Anyone here roll with a generator? If so, where do you store it, and which generator do you use? I have seen a couple threads about installing a solar panel on the roof rAck, but I want to make margaritas and run my sound system if I wanted.

So, let's talk gene'.

I like the enclosed quiet honda generators. The 2000kw is all I will need which is 2000 watts. so Let's see your custom generator storages and hear your input.

Cheers,
Sean

2000kW is 2 Million Watts right ?
I don't use one because I never need to run a hair dryer and tend to prefer the peace and quiet when camping.
If you must then yep a Honda 4 stroke suitcase type genny would be high on the list.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Never needed one. Hate the noise.

Use it on a campsite and there's a good chance you'll end up wearing it.

Trikky2 said:
Never needed one. Hate the noise.

Use it on a campsite and there's a good chance you'll end up wearing it.

:lol:

Welcome to the forum.

I don't use a generator, noisy, smelly things. I don't even use a hook up as I have nothing to power. I do have a leisure battery though for charging iPhones etc.

How many margaritas will you be making? :shock:

In general camping at some shows in the past people have had genetators running and its a pain in the arse. I think as time has moved on people now either have better equipped T4's/T5's with internal charging and leisure batteries so they dont need gennies, and the older van owners and users are more about the simple life so dont bother.

Most campsites wouldnt allow them due to risk and noise, and that there is usually hook up available, so its never a thing that Id consider. I dont think I have anything that wouldnt run on its own batteries anyway. :)

Thanks for the info guys, looks like I will be having margaritas on the rocks. Too much to deal with for a generator.

IM contemplating possibly wiring up a solar panel on my rear rack. I saw a guy do it and turned out nice.

If I'm honest I have thought about it. At Glastonbury I am there for 6 nights and the leisure battery is tested with water pump and tablet and phone charging. I could start the engine, but have thought about running a genny for a couple of hours in the daytime. I know they shouldn't be onsite, but loads of people start their cars up that have caravans, and if there was a small quiet one I could use once or twice in the week it would be ideal. (no room for solar panels on my dormi)

If you are just charging phones tablets they only pull low power think a standard leisure battery is meant to charge them over 700 times. We did just over 2 weeks away with a trailer tent with charging kindles phones having water pump and lights on. And battery still reading 11.6v 85ah leisure battery... We are going for a flexi solor panel to go on our poptop on the bay. With a 110ah leisure battery

I use a small solar panel 6 watts 0.3 amps rated - size 6" x 12" - sits inside on the dash when we are away from the van or on the roof when we are in residence, to catch the direct sun - plugs into the cigar lighter socket on the dash - manages to trickle charge the leisure battery quite adequately...we aren't running fridges and laptops and ghetto blasters, mind! not even electric water pumps...just phones, LEDs, iPods, mini-amp and a small cool box. When we are not using it it sits inside a jiffy bag behind the drivers seat!

if anyone parked up near me on a site with a generator running I would suggest they desisted and if they didn't I would move - might as well be sat in a lorry trailer park with refrigeration units running all night - have suffered that a few times on our travels!!

cheers, Rob

Latest posts