getting the glass back in my bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bensonsbus

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Looks like a sunny weekend here and paint is finished time for all the windows to go back in and new rubbers and good tips or things to avoid to get the glass back in

Cheers

Mike

Waxoyl as a lubricant (clear of course) is always a nice little tip - put that on the rubber seal/window frame interface, may help the glass slide home a little easier, and can reduce the ammount of rusting on the frame.

I replaiced my sliding and tailgate windows a few weeks ago, i pur the rubber on the window first, then used some washing line (the stuff with the wire core), needs to be strong, put the line inside of the rubber what goes in the body work, squarted some back to black stuff (was recomended by status vw) inside the of the chanel where the washingline was to lubercate it.
Placed window from the outside up to the van squared it up and got somebody to push it hard from the outside, while i pulled the line from the inside, this flips the seal over the body work.
Found the slider dindnt want to go in it took a bit of a grint to get it there.

Good luck found the job better to do than i expected.

Call me twisted but i think the van looks kind of sexy with new rubbers fitted.

thanks man thats a great help washing line it is and brute strength

a little twisted but were all grown ups here lol

Cheers

bensonsbus said:
thanks man thats a great help washing line it is and brute strength

Cheers

Brure force but take it slow, dont want to rip any of the rubber. Mine sometimes got stuck while pulling, so try to pull at a different angle.

rustydiver said:
bensonsbus said:

Cheers

Brure force but take it slow, dont want to rip any of the rubber. Mine sometimes got stuck while pulling, so try to pull at a different angle.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :p :lol: :mrgreen: :shock: :shock:

Brilliant.. Quote of the year! 8)

Hi Mike, someone asked a similar question on another forum (I'll be good and not say which :p) the other day so I've just copied and pasted what I put below.
Good luck :)

From doing this myself, I found you need three items then its a fairly easy thing to master.

1. A suction clamp - I got one of these which is brill http://www.screwfix.com/prods/18817...ter?cm_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-GLASS SUCTION-_-18817

2. Some silicone spray lubricant like this http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13662/Plumbing/Plumbing-Accessories/Silicone-Spray-400ml

3. A strong piece of thin cord that you can wrap around the inside of the rubber seal and overlap by at least 6"

Fit the glass into the seal*, wrap the cord around (inside the lip of the seal) and overlap it. Spray silicone over the cord/seal. From inside the van with the clamp on the glass, pull the glass firmly into the window frame whilst pulling the cord and therefore the lip of the seal over the metal frame - bingo! Might take a bit of practice, but its easy to get the hang of.

*This is for factory fitted windows - if you have a panel van conversion (ie window frames are simply holes cut in the side of the body panels), fit the seal to the frame first, cord inside the seal lip, push glass and pull cord from outside, then fit the filler strip round the window seal (there is a special diamond shaped wire tool which makes this easy to put in. I know some people who have put the filler strip in before the glass, but I imagine this would make life much more difficult to get the glass in.

Don't use liquid lube. Use a good sprinkling of talc instead. It's what VW did at the factory and it works far better than liquids. Johnson's baby powder ;)

DO NOT USE SILICONE LUBE !!!! sorry to shout but if you want to do any paintwork on the van in future silicone is the devil - you will get 'fisheyes' all over your nice spray job.

Not much else to add other than always pull the string toward the centre of the glass while someone pushes the window from outside, the side windows in paticular are a mare to squeeze in.

I think if you do a quick search there has been a thread asking this same question quite recently, although I remember it being in the chat section?

Latest posts