Going to France

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ands1

Reaction score
Me & Helen are European Early bay touring virgins
:D . We fancy trying France in the van this year & want the ferry down to Santander & work our way up the west coast (bit of bodyboarding :mrgreen: )over 2 weeks hopefully 2-3 different stops at campsites. Can anyone recommend campsites & the cheapest website for ferries as we've been quote £460 to Santander but this includes our crossing from Cherburg to Poole on the way home..
Many thanks
Andy

Hi mate, yer we found the that crossing very expensive too. We stayed in a campite La Tranche sur mer. (Camping les dunnes) Nice site beach about 5 minutes walk really good for surfing / Bodyboarding.

Also stayed further down on the coast but i cant think of the area now. Will get back to you. We heading south along the coast, Carcassonne was really nice. Through the Pyrenees

Planning on doing the samething ourselves this year, going from Portsmouth to St Malo.
Only going as far south as the Vendee area (parents moving there) and then coming back via Eurodisney for the kids.
Haven't priced up the ferries yet but expect it to be stupid as were going in August :shock:

AFAIK the Bilbao service is stopping for good, sometime around November this year, shame as i had it on my wish list.

Johnny said:
AFAIK the Bilbao service is stopping for good, sometime around November this year, shame as i had it on my wish list.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

was on my wish list too :cry:

Ands1 said:
Me & Helen are European Early bay touring virgins
:D . We fancy trying France in the van this year & want the ferry down to Santander & work our way up the west coast (bit of bodyboarding :mrgreen: )over 2 weeks hopefully 2-3 different stops at campsites. Can anyone recommend campsites & the cheapest website for ferries as we've been quote £460 to Santander but this includes our crossing from Cherburg to Poole on the way home..
Many thanks
Andy

hi andy ,id do the tunnel and drive it youll enjoy it honestly theres tons of sites (we just drove and when we got to a town we liked we either tapped in POI ......points of interest in the sat nav or asked somebody .............well my daughter did !! lol ), ive just booked me tunnel £53 one way and were off to the italy again , via the rhine in germany down to the black forest and then nip through austria and onto the italian lakes , theres so much you dont see when your on a boat (plus ive heard that its can be faily rough down there !!), with the tunnel your there in 25 mins and the kids find all that very interesting , we did north wales to sorrento in two weeeks and we went to lake como in that !! 3443 miles

if you cant get the price down there are car trains from paris they werent too bad in cost when i looked last year and they go the south of france

take it easy

regards
chris

I would get off the ferry and turn right not left if I were you, Northern Spain is just great, visit the Pico's

I didnt know they were stopping the Bilbao ferry :(

Ive done it twice now, about £400 each way, but you can see where the money goes. Its a flipping long way! And yes, the sea in the Bay of Biscay can be very rough. Take Kalms!

Last year we drove home via the SW coast and crossed across to Disney en route to Dunquerque for the ferry home.

Do it! Its a blast.

Clem said:
I didnt know they were stopping the Bilbao ferry :(

yeah heard it on the radio 3 days ago, so it was a coincidence someone was talking about it on here, would need some confirmation that its true but im 99% sure.

I hate ferries as well ,I would jump if i ever had to go on a cruise...Having said that when I go to blighty we always do the brittainy roscoff to plymouth ,it`s overnight so you can get some kip and you are refreshed the next morning... 8)

I would turn right as well ,tis a lot cheaper in Espanguey....

Latest posts