Camping in the South of France and Spain

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottie

Reaction score
Hi all I’m just after some advice. We are of camping down the south of France and into Spain. We are sailing from Plymouth into Roscoff in France and coming back via Santander Spain.

Our plan so far is we are going to DATC in July and staying over on the Sunday night again, as it was such a blast last time, then traveling down to Plymouth to catch the ferry on the Monday 21st July.

What I’m after does anyone know of some good campsite down the south of France, which you can stay only for a night or two keeping to the coast line down to Spain.

Thanks all

Scottie

Loads of excellent campsites on the way down through France and most of them happy for you to just turn up and camp for a couple of days ( Its the way camping is done in Europe). We did this trip a couple of years ago and we didn't book any campsites :D
We just had a loose plan of a route and where we wanted to go. We camped in Gulf de Morbian near Vannes Souther Brittany,
Ile de Re, St Emillion near Bordeaux, St jean de Luz near Biarritz on the French Spannish border and a last campsite at Mundaka near Gurnika which is an easy drive to Santander
http://www.campingportuondo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers Rob.

I did this trip from Holland to Spain last June.
I did not book any campsites in advance. I just turned up and booked for the night.
There are big differences between the different sites though, so be careful. Some campsites are only used for the night and have very little facilities. These are usually the smaller privately owned campsites. Nothing wrong with that, but it is funny that when you wake up after 9am that everybody seems to have disappeared.

On the other hand there are the big 4 and 5 star campsites that are more like holidayparks with big pools, a bar, a supermarket, entertainment, etc. These are fun to stay and give you an actual feeling of being on holiday.

In that region Ive never booked - Arrcachon, Isle De Re, Seignosse, Biarritz, St Jon De Luz, Bidet, San Sebastian and have always eventually got away with it, but in peak season you have to get in early in the morning for vacant pitches or be prepared to hunt about a bit. Most sites will only let you pre book for weeks at a time, weekend to weekend, so its a catch 22.
Usually there will always be motorhome aires available if you are self contaned enough for that option.

Thank you guys for all your advice. I have found it very helpful, and its made my planning so much easier :p . All's we need to decide now, is what areas in the south of France we would like to see and stay :? .

Once again guys thank you. :D

Have fun, we have confirmed the reverse trip today with Brittany Ferries. Out on 30 May from Portsmouth to Santander, back on 14 June into Plymouth from Roscoff. We have booked the last couple of nights at LaPoint but apart from that nothing else yet!

And before anyone asks .... Yep, checking out the breakdown/recovery options :lol:

we stayed at Camping Sopelana last summer. Ideal for the surfing beaches of Sopelana and the tram into Bilbao.

http://www.campingsopelana.com/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pics here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blogdroed/sets/72157631117590700/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well that's our ferry tickets booked, Plymouth to Roscoff outward bound. Bilbao to Portsmouth back home :p. Just now need to sort out our route :shock:

Thanks everyone for your help.

Scottie

Latest posts