Gus the 68 bus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rov716y

Reaction score
I've collected my new early bay today. named gus the 68 bus. I'll just share a few pics for now, and do a full write up another day, its been a long day and i'm a bit tired.

Great looking Bus 8) what are your plans for it if any ? Looks good to go as is though :D

NickJ said:
Great looking Bus 8) what are your plans for it if any ? Looks good to go as is though :D

Ive got 4 kids and going to camp in him, so going to put a rock and roll bed in the rear and a buddy seat behind the passenger seat so we can keep the walk through and generally tidy up the interior. exterior wise is leave as is for now. the seals are fucked on the rear screen, one opening quarter light and the all the seals on the front doors and letting in water. so going to get him water tight first.

When I picked gus up their was a manly old bit of carpet above the engine bay. I took it out, it was almost welded to a patch or the body work. Looks like because of a leaking really window seal it had let in wet which has sat under this carpet causing a bit of rust to start. Before it has a chance to get worse I thought I'd better tackle it. So nipped off and got some krust and some zinc primer, (think I'll get brush able stuff for areas like this that won't be seen as the rattle can didn't go far).

Here are a few pics.

Just need to get some paint in the right colour now and give him a few coats. He has a couple of other small patches inside but this is by far the worSt he has.

The new inertia seat belt turned up today. But going to wait till I've got him a bit more sorted till I fit them and they are red and don't want them getting grubby.

I've done my usual trick again and not taken anyou pics.

But this weekend I've changed the seal round the rear window. There was a little rust starting on the bottom of the opening so I treated it and painted it. Any the window went in nicely.

I knew he wasn't running right, he had a miss fire under load at low rpm, stalling at junctions and smelling very rich.

After reading a manual on the tune up process this weekend I set about sorting him out.

Starting with the valve clearances. 0.15mm was the ideal clearance (from what I've read), all 8 valves were too tight, most not having any clearance at all. So the were all adjusted.

Then on to the points. Which again was 0.15mm to my surprise they were spot on, but the bit of white plastic (nylon?) That retained the spring bit that rubs on the shafts wasn't seated back so I clipped it home, I checked the vacuum advance to and it works perfectly and holdo vacuum.

So time to strike him up and adjust the timing I checked it before I did anything and according to my timing strobe it was set at 55° advanced!!!!. So I went to loosen it off to adjust but the distributor had a lug that blocked the 10mm nut on the clamp, so I had to completely remove the distributor to loosen it. And once fitted back on with the clamp loose I set the timing to 6° advanced which he ran nicely at, but once the choke kick out he stalled. I managed to get him running nicely at 15° advanced and at that I cold get a socket on tighten the 10mm but on the clamp.

As the choke had been kicking in when he was warm I turned it so it was backed off quiet a bit, I'll have to wait till cold weather to see how he starts.

I then adjusted the carb, set the idle jet then the idle speed.

I took him for a 30min drive round town then a 10 mile a road drive. He never missed a beat no stallingamells at junctions, a pleasure to drive. He now has really good throttle response and feels quicker. Didn't smell like he was over feeling so fingers crossed I've done some good.

Latest posts