Half of South Africa in my bodywork!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallingoffalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just been looking at my van underneath the sliding door, put a wire wheel in my cordless drill and started removing some surface rust to see what the underlying steel was like, there was a few that were very thin and went through as I brushed it.

176141.jpg

But then I noticed some soil in the hole. I poked it with a screwdriver and some more came out, then made a long scraper thing with a zip-tie and look what came out...

10dtdds.jpg

I went round the other side and pushed my desert locating tool into the front most drain hole...

359zo10.jpg

There wasn't really any in the rear sections as far as I could see, so I'm guessing this dirt was pushed up the drain holes from the front wheels.

I'll carry on tomorrow and see if I can find any more...

If you can get as much out as possible it will be better in the long term. Sand/soil will absorb moisture and rot the structure from the inside out.
Poke around inside all the chassis and door drain holes and use compressed air to blow it out. Obviously use some eye protection.