hamerite ????

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dub boy

Reaction score
has anyone sprayed a bus with this paint. a freind at work said he knows a guy that restores morris minors and sprays all of them with it ,at first i thought it would faid ect but then again garage doors and gates seem to weather well .ive used it in the past for bikes ect but i was allways thought it was just celly .

It'll look like a dogs dinner.
It will cause problems if you ever want it painted properly.
It'll hide rust forming underneath until you poke your finger clean through the parts where its bubbling up.

ProfessorWheeto said:
It'll look like a dogs dinner.
It will cause problems if you ever want it painted properly.
It'll hide rust forming underneath until you poke your finger clean through the parts where its bubbling up.
not a good idea then :lol: he is gunna get some pics of the cars painted in it but pics can hide alot ,ive used it underneath but not to paint the motor its self .the rust comes down to prep tho i would of thought

Doris said:
Horrible stuff,difficult to work with or touch up.
Sounds like my Mrs - sorry , couldn't resist :lol:

Don't like the sound of Hammerite on a bus. I'm sure you would have heard a lot more about it if it was any good ,

i know its shit to paint with a brush .sounds like a no no then .is it celly based tho ,ime just curious thats all ,its like treacle if you dont thin it down a bit .

Mickey Sam said:
Doris said:
Horrible stuff,difficult to work with or touch up.
Sounds like my Mrs - sorry , couldn't resist :lol:

Don't like the sound of Hammerite on a bus. I'm sure you would have heard a lot more about it if it was any good ,
:lol: :lol: i would have to concur on this :D

There was a fad a few years ago for painting old cars with Rustoleum (US branded paint) diluted 20:1 with white spirit, with a lot of coats. Rustoleum isn't officially available in the UK but is similar to Hammerite.

ATEOTD if Hammerite was a good thing to paint cars with all the body shops would be at it. It's not bad for painting engine support bars, gates, farm equipment etc. ;)

Tim S said:
ATEOTD if Hammerite was a good thing to paint cars with all the body shops would be at it. It's not bad for painting engine support bars, gates, farm equipment etc. ;)

So is it okay for using on your cargo floor?

Noticed it being used a few times on bare metal after rust has been removed.

Tim S said:
There was a fad a few years ago for painting old cars with Rustoleum (US branded paint) diluted 20:1 with white spirit, with a lot of coats. Rustoleum isn't officially available in the UK but is similar to Hammerite.

You can buy rustoleum in the uk, Rustoleum combicolor is what they use. I've seen some really good results done with it using a roller. It's a much better product than hammerite but not everyone's cup of tea. Being oil based if you change your mind and want to use conventional paint after you will be looking at bare metalling. It's quite popular with the wedgie owners :)

Latest posts