Have paid deposit for a bus!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcvw

Reaction score
Hi,

I've somewhat blindly pretty much bought myself a 71 tintop :)

Only thing is, I'm flying out to the US for two weeks tomorrow (work, not play!) so didn't have time to view the bus.

I have paid a deposit, and the owner said he'd hold the bus for me until I get back (fingers crossed!).

The bus is definitely a project, as the current owner has repaired the entire drivers (RHD) side (from front to back), but says it still needs the entire passenger side sorting out (yet to take the belly pan off on that side). I believe the doors are ok-ish (sliding door needs a repair along the bottom edge), but the engine lid and rear hatch are good.

From talking to the owner, the bus is 100% complete (it's a microbus - not a camper). He bought it seven years ago and it has been dry stored ever since. It even comes with some extras i.e. two side louvre windows, complete westy interior with full-size rock-n-roll bed (from a 73 or 74 he thinks), additional gearbox (from a later 2.0L model) plus remaining required repair panels needed.

Being a 71 it has disks at the front - should these be servo assisted?

Also, can you get 356 style replicas for this pcd (small five-stud) ?

Anyway... I can't wait to get back so I can go get it!!!!

Cheers,

Mike :D

Congratulations on your buy!
I bought my bus without seeing it, too - you're sure to be in for a few surprises but that's all part of the fun!!!
I'm no expert but I don't think it should be servo assisted.
Let us know how it is once you've got your (soon to be oily) hands on it!

;)

Well done J&M and hope that when you get back it is not as bad as it could be (if you know what I mean)

Cheers guys,

Just checked in to (and logged in via) my hotel room in New York :)

Weather forecast is for 3-6 inches of snow overnight - which should make it fun getting to the office tomorrow.

Hope to receive some pics from current owner of bus - will keep you posted.

Mike
8)

Latest posts