Headlight fitting

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vaughan

Reaction score
Hi
Just taken out the screw that holds the head light chrome rim on to clean the inside and the screw won't tighten back up as the threads on the captivated bracket in bodywork have rusted.
Any ideas for fixing ie. larger self tapping screw.
Cheers
Ade Vaughan

Hi Vaughan, yep, to the bigger tapper. Another thing you can do is fit a small Rawl plug in the hole instead of the threads and you could warm up a plastic one and force it in the hole but allowing it to flare slightly so the screw can find it. Or squeeze one of those flatish metal plates over it with the hole ready for a tapper like you have holding your dash in, I can’t think what they’re called, thin flat piece of metal about a half inch by an inch, folded in half to go over both sides of the bracket with a new smaller hole in both parts.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,if memory was money I’d be skint :mrgreen:

sparkywig said:
Give the tab a squeeze with some grips, that should close the hole up enough for the screw thread to bite.
Or fit a spire clip as Ozziedog says.

Cheers Wig, :mrgreen: Jack nuts look good and T nuts too, rivnuts possibly, depends if you got some hanging about. Stainless fixings are pea nuts now days for small quantities like from Screwfix and the other dealers. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, spire clip, I’ll have forgotten that by tonight :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

The other thing you can do is fill with epoxy flexible filler drill a pilot the use same size as original self tappers if you want to keep the screw heads the same size

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Hi all, Thanks for all your helpful reply's I'll try a clip first and see if that works,
Great info 😀
Cheers
Vaughan

Latest posts