Headlight Flasher Issue

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walt

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've got an issue with my headlight flasher that I'm trying to work out - Looking for some advice;

So, my bus is a December 69 US Microbus; When the original bakelite fusebox fell to pieces around 2016, I decided to get it rewired with a new loom and bladed fuse box from the Iain Aircooled Electrician guy. Great job, would recommend - Had no problems since then.

Issue...
Just recently I noticed that my main beam flasher was turning itself on; Sometimes whilst I was driving (I could hear the relay "click"), sometimes when I was just walking away from parking it up.
As a temporary fix I found by disconnecting the Yellow wire from Terminal F on the relay stopped happening.

Existing Relay (US?)...
The existing relay has 5 Terminals on it, with 6 wires going to it.
- Terminal 56A has 2 wires piggybacked together, which are 1)white and 2) a blue/white striped.
- Terminal 30 has a Red wire; I believe this goes back to the Light Switch

So the Wiring Diagram for my bus (Bentley Electrical Appendix E)...
- The relay is labelled as 'J' Dimmer Relay
- It has 4 Terminals (F, 56a, 56, S); No Terminal 30.
- Terminal F is actually a White wire, not a Yellow

New Relay (from JK)...
- Has 5 terminals (S, 30, 56, 56a, 56b)
- So nearly matches the original relay in the bus.

Queries...
1) Is 56b (new relay) and F (old relay) the same?
2) Any idea what the Terminal 56A (2 wires piggybacked) might be for? I'm wondering if it's also activating the dashboard lights.

Thanks,
Steve

OK, now sorted the first query; So they are the same.

For reference this post on thesamba helped:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613991
Did you solve the random clicking though? I had this in my splitty and it turned out the indicator switch/ boss has moved up the steering column and when the steering wheel was in a certain position it was earthing out the headlamps exactly the same as using the flasher! You could see shiny spots on the retaining ring where the screws had been rubbing. Moving the boss further away from the base of the steering wheel cured the issue.

Just back from week in van at Cliff House Holiday Park near Dunwich/Minsmere in Suffolk, and had similar problem, not sure if it’s the relay or retaining ring/column, temp solution remove fuses 5&6 (full headlights) and only drive during day, new relay ordered from JK, will investigate and report back

4th time at this site, great for walks, cycling and has direct access to beach, Orford Ness, Southwold and Snape/Aldeburgh worth visiting

A really sweet Hymer van parked next pitch, something cartoonish about it

IMG_6915.jpegIMG_6916.jpeg

Turns out it was the headlamp relay and not the flasher/indicator relay

The old one, possibly original if the 5 71 is date stamp for May 1971, see pics below, was badly corroded likely due to water ingress, it dosen’t help that the 2 relays are mounted upside down under the fuse box, a PITA to wiggle it out with all the wires

Now I have a different problem with rear tail lights and brake lights doing odd things, hope I haven’t disturbed something when sorting out the relay!

IMG_0214.jpegIMG_0215.jpegIMG_0216.jpeg

Latest posts