Headlining/ Panel Installation

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DorothyMantooth

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I am looking to replace my Westy pop top headliner and door panels. I have removed the old stuff and will check out my local timber stockist for 3/4mm ply board this weekend.

My query is around the installation. For the headlining is it as simple as sloting in to the existing U channels that surround the roof? No nails necessary essentially?

I have the original plugs for the door panels so no worries there.

I read through Egotrippin's interior build thread which is great. Does anybody have dimensions for a pop-top Westy roof?

Cheers!

Hi mate , for a westy pop top roof you will want 2 5foot by 5foot sheets of 3mm Baltic birch ply ,

if you are doing the door cards in same wood on more 5foot by 5 foot sheet will do it

As for fitting , Yes it goes back in the j channels , but its a 2 man job really and when it goes in its under alot of tension so mind your fingers ,

Note remember to run the grain from front to back of bus ( as oppose to across the width of the bus )

Check my thread for a few pix of my installation , http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20193&hilit=portugese+Van" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks grazy!! Did you measure your dimensions yourself? Going to swing by the local timber stockist and see what I can get. Out of interest how much did you pay for the ply? I will also be insulating the doors and roof with thermawrap.

Must get a few pictures posted. I'm based in northern Ireland, hopefully there are a few more on early bay nearby

Sent from my XT890 using Forum Fiend v1.1.5.

Hi fella , mine is a panel van so i didnt have a headliner to use as a template , I bough an original westy one from an autojumble then used it as a template for my new one this is how i got it spot on , and how i know dimensions ,

I think wood was about £8 per sheet from local firm

Hi fella , mine is a panel van so i didnt have a headliner to use as a template , I bough an original westy one from an autojumble then used it as a template for my new one this is how i got it spot on , and how i know dimensions ,

I think wood was about £8 per sheet from local firm

Alright mate
Where did you get the ply from? Tried ipswich plastics
But they don't do 5x5 only 8x4 and they wanted £27+Vat per
Sheet !
Cheers

Hi walrus , yes i got mine from Ipswich plastics 5ft X 5ft 3mm Baltic Birch !! :shock:

Latest posts